Greek error, reasonable mistake or just gross printing error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
In a sermon I'm editing the word Epiphanius coined for super duper will worship (Cf. Col 2:23; J. B. Lightfoot, Colossians, 2nd ed., p. 206; Epiphanius, Panarion, Against the Pharisees) has a typo. Since I don't know Greek I am wondering if it is simply a gross mis setting of the type or a "reasonable" error? The difference being something a scholar would not do, but a typesetter might.
In the picture, the top is incorrect and the bottom is correct.
View attachment 1879

Definitely looks like a typesetting error to me. Those three letters (the "k" and the two immediately preceding it) would be impossible to pronounce in Greek. Also, the correct word (the bottom) has the necessary breath mark over the very first letter.

Yes, definitely a serious case of DTS (Drunken Typesetter Syndrome)...

People make typos all the time. Why not in Greek? I don't think it's that bad, but you should correct it in your editing. If it is Lightfoot who edited that work, I'd guess that it's the printer's error. :)

Thanks; that was my suspicion. Going to fast or ran out of letters. Or maybe the compositor misread the MS as he was setting the type. But I'm happy to suppose a printer error as likely.

Yes; I'm correcting it in a footnote; thanks.
People make typos all the time. Why not in Greek? I don't think it's that bad, but you should correct it in your editing. If it is Lightfoot who edited that work, I'd guess that it's the printer's error. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back