Greek Principal Parts Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmanuel

Puritan Board Freshman
I have the Oxford Greek-English Lexicon, but I'm looking for a book that presents all the principal parts for Greek verbs. (N.B.: I am studying Classical Greek, so I need a book with more comprehensive vocabulary than in NT)

Does anyone have this book?"ALL THE GREEK VERBS"
If so, would you recommend it?

Any other recommendations?

Wow. It seems like the kind of resource that you would rarely use, but it would be really helpful when you do. These days, though, why not just use Perseus? You can type in any Greek inflected form and it will parse it and cross-reference it with both the lexicons and the online Greek corpus.

In Dana and Mantey there is a fold-out that goes through a semi-exhaustive listing of the principal parts of the verbs.

Cheers,

Wow. It seems like the kind of resource that you would rarely use, but it would be really helpful when you do. These days, though, why not just use Perseus? You can type in any Greek inflected form and it will parse it and cross-reference it with both the lexicons and the online Greek corpus.
I can't use Perseus in Greek class. Furthermore, I loathe having to use the "how to enter text in Greek" chart. Do you know a way around it?

In Dana and Mantey there is a fold-out that goes through a semi-exhaustive listing of the principal parts of the verbs.
I'm assuming the fold-out includes a "semi-exhaustive" list of paradigms?
What about irregular verbs?

Joel,

It's got the Omega Conjugation (luo), and the Mi Conjugation (histaemee, tithaemee, and didoemee).

Does that help?

Adam

I use "All the Greek Verbs". I know it by its Italian name, though.
It is an EXCELLENT resource. Well worth the money.
Let me know if you have any particular questions about it.

Thank you Adam, Charlie, and Clark for responding to my question.

Clark, how much of the book is in Italian? The Amazon reviewer said that the abbreviations for the parts of speech are in Italian. Does it include definitions?

You won't need to know Italian to make use of it. You can figure it out very easily. E.g., you can easily understand Imperativo, Aoristo, or Participio, couldn't you?

I can't use Perseus in Greek class. Furthermore, I loathe having to use the "how to enter text in Greek" chart. Do you know a way around it?

In some if not all of the search boxes, you can use Greek unicode. If you don't already have a Greek unicode keyboard activated on your OS, you really ought to get one. It's so much better than transliterating or using a transformation machine.

Charlie: I tried the unicode and it worked. Thanks!

Clark: Yes, I could figures those out abreviations. Are all the principal parts listed next to the entry for the present form? For instance, if I went to the entry for ἄγω, would I see ἄξω, ἤγαγον, ἦχα, etc. next to it?

Sorry for the late reply. No. The work isn't organized that way -- or at least what I have isn't. Again, I may be dealing with a different book, though the book that I use has the title you named, only in Italian, so I'm assuming it's the same.

The book I use allows you to look up a form. It then parses it for you. It doesn't have every possible parsing. For example, it wouldn't give you ἐλυα and ἐλυας, since if you can get the one you can get the other. But it is does reveal to you every principal part, with any endings that you would not, with a beginner's knowledge of Greek, be able to predict -- and even some that you would. It is very useful, very handy. Slow, like all physical tools. Digital tools are much faster -- though I find that I don't remember what was revealed to me through a digital tool. The physical act of looking it up seems to help cement what I find in my brain -- but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back