Featured Greetings from Connecticut

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by pippin, Nov 7, 2018.

1. pippin

pippin Puritan Board Freshman

Hello! I'm new to Puritan Board and thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Jared and am currently a PhD student in Connecticut. I'm currently an Episcopalian, but after a lot of time and study plan to begin attending a Reformed church after I graduate and move to Texas for a new job. The options seem to be a few PCA churches, a CRC church, and an EPC plant. I'm studying philosophy but have a big interest in theology, and I was until very recently in discernment in the Episcopal Church (this is complicated by the fact that I'll be leaving, so it isn't proper to say I'm discerning anymore).

2. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable Staff Member

Welcome aboard, Jared.

3. Taylor Sexton

Taylor Sexton Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

4. Scott Bushey

Scott Bushey Puritan Board Doctor

Hey Jared,
    Fellow Connecticuter, here. Was raised in West Hartford. Fond memories.
    Welcome to the board!

5. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

Welcome! We have a lot of Texans here, so if you give some details I'm sure you can get some help in your search for a church there.

6. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

Salutations!

7. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

8. pippin

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

9. pippin

Specifically moving to Austin, so any church recs are greatly appreciated.

10. DTK

DTK Puritan Board Junior

There is an excellent OPC congregation there pastored by James Cassidy, who would be an excellent mentor for you. He is a good and sound man theologically.

Here is their web site: http://www.southaustinpres.org/

If you have the opportunity to speak with Pastor Cassidy, tell him that David King sent you his way.

11. jwithnell

jwithnell Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Welcome! I'm not familiar with the specific church previously mentioned, but I've been in the OPC many years to great benefit.

12. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

Stay away from the CRC, as they've become more liberal over the last few decades. The OPC used to have denominational fraternal relations with them, but the OPC cut that tie some years ago because of the liberalism issue.

13. pippin

All good to know. Thanks, all

14. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

I highly recommend the Reformed Forum podcast: https://reformedforum.org/programs/ctc/

And, pastors of Providence OPC and South Austin OPC (both in Austin) are both regulars there!

15. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Given the events of this week, I'm tempted to say, "Welcome to Texas so long as you don't register to vote". But I'll be nice and not say that.

I will echo the comment to stay away from the CRC.

Given your background, I'd note that there are about 5 Anglican churches in the Austin area.

There are also about 5 PCA churches in Austin (more in the surrounding area) varying in size and style. A couple of OPC congregations (almost always a safe theological choice).

16. pippin

I considered the Anglican churches in Austin, and some look pretty good, but I'm increasingly dissatisfied with the Episcopal Church (and the ACNA, for different reasons), and I really think my convictions lie with the Presbyterians these days.

17. pippin

Will do!

18. PhilA

PhilA Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome

19. ArminianOnceWas

ArminianOnceWas Puritan Board Freshman

I remember James when he was in Pennsylvania/New Jersey assuming it's the same one. Wow, it's been a long time. I would most certainly recommend his ministry.

20. OPC'n

OPC'n Puritan Board Doctor

Welcome! Keep your discernment! We encourage discernment around here especially concerning those who disagree with me :rolleyes:

21. Cymro

Cymro Puritan Board Junior

Great to have another sharer of the things that matter. Welcome Mr Pippin!

22. pippin

The plan is to keep discerning! Just no longer in the formal process of discernment with TEC

23. Grant Jones

Grant Jones Puritan Board Sophomore

Pippin

As in Peregrin Took I hope?!:detective:

24. pippin

you'd be right!

25. Grant Jones

Grant Jones Puritan Board Sophomore

Well then a WARM welcome to you!

26. MrCotto

MrCotto Puritan Board Freshman

Hey man, fellow connecticut resident here. In Glastonbury. I go to the Presbyterian Church of Manchester. Would love to have you visit. I’m sure my Pastor could recommend a good church in TX, he’s been there a before.

27. pippin

Cool, didn't know there'd be so many folks from CT!

28. psycheives

psycheives Puritan Board Freshman

Hi Jared, welcome to Puritanboard. This is a super great place to be and learn. You'll be able to search some fantastic threads and find answers to so many questions. I agree with all the above "avoid CRC" comments. Also would not recommend EPC if possible.

Try this Reformed Church map to find a church near you.