Greetings from Midlothian, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

but3leftsdo

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey everyone.

The Lord has brought me on an interesting spiritual journey. My father was raised Jewish, but converted in order to marry my mother who was a Southern Baptist. So I was raised in the SBC, but always had interest in Judaism, which came to a head in the early 70's when I attended synagogue for a while with my best friend who was a cantor. During that time I became convinced that Judaism asked more questions than it gave answers, more importantly it didn't answer the questions I had. I looked elsewhere.

My search brought me to a large non-denominational church (Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa, California). I was invited by a friend and her family, and when I arrived I saw several of my old high-school friends, folks that were heavy druggies and quite promiscuous, and they were all singing and praising God. This floored me, as until then my Baptist upbringing seemed rather sterile and lacking in substance, at least to me. Here I was seeing the evidence of changed lives entirely due to the work of God. It impressed me so much, for the first time in my life I actually listened to a sermon, and that evening came to faith, and was later baptized in the Pacific Ocean with a few hundred other folks.

I stayed at CC for a couple of years, partly caught up in the emotion and the excitement of the "Jesus Movement", but really seeking to know God better, which means I spent a lot of time in the Word, and in prayer. My personal study brought up more questions, again, ones that could not be answered in the context of dispensationalism. I asked several of the pastors at CC about subjects such as predestination, regeneration, and the depraved nature of man, and while they tried to answer my questions I felt that the entire thing made them feel uncomfortable.

I began to think that the problem was with me, as it seemed that I had the same responses no matter which church I attended. It didn't dawn on me at the time that all of the churches I attended were dispensational in nature and would not be able to answer my questions (these were the days before the internet). It wasn't until almost 20 years ago that the light bulb came on.

My wife and I were attending an SBC church that was beginning to split up, and so we began looking for another church, but none seemed like "home". That spring we visited her brother in Charlotte, NC and attended sunday school and church with them (Christ Covenant - PCA). I was amazed at the teaching. Here were my questions being answered in a concise, systematic manner, I was almost ecstatic. After the sermon, I approached the pastor (Harry Reeder), and told him that we were from out of town but would be interested in attending similar churches in our area. He took my address and said he'd send me some information. Later that week we received a couple of pages from the PCA directory (I had never heard of the PCA til this point), and set out to find a church. We joined a small PCA church in Yorktown, VA and were there for a few years until I took a job in Richmond.

Our pastor's daughter lived in Richmond, and told us that we needed to visit her church (Sycamore Presbyterian), so it was the first (and only) PCA church we visited after moving up here. We have been there since 1997, and both of us are active in the music ministry, as is our son, and I am a deacon, and member of the Mission Committee. Our church has planted two daughter churches in the area in the last 5 or 6 years, the last one was particularized this past winter.

Sorry for the long winded intro. I am excited about what I believe, and what God is doing in our lives.

jambo

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings and speaking as a son of Midlothian myself, albeit the Scottish Midlothian, welcome to the PB.

but3leftsdo

Puritan Board Freshman
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I just learned from my choir director that our choir has been invited to assist in leading the worship at the PCA General Assembly next Wednesday night (6/8). Our pastor will be leading the service and Tim Keller will be preaching.

but3leftsdo

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings and speaking as a son of Midlothian myself, albeit the Scottish Midlothian, welcome to the PB.

As a Scotsman (on my mother's side), I thank you Stuart.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Thank you Dudley

Britt

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome from a newby in Virginia as well! My name is Brittnay and I live in Culpeper, VA. Good to "meet" you and read what God has done in your life!

:welcome:

Scott1

Puritanboard Commissioner
This is a good place to learn reformed theology and grow in grace toward one another.:welcome:

Status
Not open for further replies.