Greetings from Ontario, Canada!

Aaron858

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings brothers and sisters in our Lord and Savior Jesus!
I'm excited to be a member on such a unique board as Puritanboard, and thought it prudent to introduce myself: My name is Aaron, I was born (January, 2000) and raised in Orillia Ontario.
Baptized as an infant to the Anglican Church, I was raised in a household without much, if any, focus on God, let alone Scripture.
The extent of my early spiritual knowledge extended to that which was taught at Sunday school until the age of roughly 10 when my I stopped attending due to (if I'm not mistaken) a choice from my mother. I didn't end up receiving any yearning to the Gospel, as it would prove in the Lord's will to call me later in life.
During Grade 10 I 'dropped out' and became a truant due to some traumatic series of events. Thereafter I lived a life of frequent drug use and drunkenness', without the least care for my future life, let alone any Gospel Truth.
From the age of 10 to 17 there wasn't to be found any trace of belief or spiritual life, and on the contrary, I lived "according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:".

I began to be effectually called by the Lord in 2017 beginning with studies into "the mystery of iniquity", and would eventually receive the Grace to Repent, in which thereafter He began the journey of His Grace; reforming and purifying the faith from the theological err which is so prolific during our times (particularly through the aforementioned studies; on the histories & doctrines of Paganism, the Roman Catholic Church and the Jesuit Order), which I'm sure many are familiar with.
It's been a long, at times painful, and ardent journey since then, in which our Lord has been Very gracious throughout.

Within the past few months I've began reading Puritan writings, which prior were only known as how modern secular society views them. The works Revealed unto me started with Thomas Vincent ("The true Christians love to the unseen Christ", "The Good work Begun", and thereafter "The Shorter Catechism Explained from Scripture" which are all wholeheartedly recommended!) firstly, leading to John Owen, William Lyford, Stephen Charnock, Daniel Burgess, William Prynne, Francis Roberts, John Bunyan, and even some modern writers such as J.I Packer, and John Piper (And also some reading of the Puritanboard!).
These authors were (and are!) used wonderfully by the Lord, opening unto me previously shunned doctrine and theology (i.e. TULIP and the errs of Arminianism), presented in such a way that I could not refute it.
Such authors are cherished As dear friends now, as prior there were to be found none which shared such beliefs as of saving grace, sanctification, and the absolute wonders of the depth which is to be found in the Gospel (so frequently found to be eloquently expounded on by these 'divines'!).
As a result of reading of the dire necessity in the Scriptural mandate for attending a local Church, I am currently looking for a reformed church in my area (Ideally confessional!). At the moment I'm an non-attending member of the St. James Anglican Church (apart for a weekly 'loonie' lunch hosted for the local shelter-folk), and have been a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, and other small non-denominational groups in town in the past as well.
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord daily that this life has been ordained as it has been; that so many toils and snares didn't fully keep me from Him, through His marvelous and Praiseworthy Grace.

It is hoped, among other potentials (such as having some pressing questions answered), that there might be found here some more friends (living friends; not just friends asleep, ideally!) during my hopefully long, joyful, and edifying stay here on the Puritanboard! :hug:
I'd lastly like to thank the admin(s) for the warm reception, despite my current condition, which was most generously granted leniency on, it is truly appreciated! :handshake:

Hope and pray you all have a well and prosperous day, brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus our Lord!

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
Greetings. Any chance I could get you to take back the snow and cold weather the Canadians have sent down here this week?

Everything I know about Canada I learned from watching Channel 10 news out of London when I lived in Ohio. But it looks like you are from a bit north of there.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Welcome Aaron.

There is a URCNA church not too far from where you live: www.graceurc.com/Location.html The pastor is my wife's former pastor and he also officiated our wedding. He is a fine man and I commend him to you for pastoral oversight and counsel.

Aaron858

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings. Any chance I could get you to take back the snow and cold weather the Canadians have sent down here this week?

Everything I know about Canada I learned from watching Channel 10 news out of London when I lived in Ohio. But it looks like you are from a bit north of there.
Greetings!
I would if I could! I've seen the winter snows some of you guys down south have been hit with the past week on some news, there has been some real bad car accidents! Hope you aren't in one of those real bad areas.
We're a bit different up here' than down south. Being Commonwealth has some benefits and we have an interesting past. I prefer your guy's history over ours though, Far more intriguing! And yes, Orillia is a number of hours north of London. I don't mind being north by "cottage country" though, there's some great trails with less than an hours walk, and you're in wonderful forestry with streams. Some of my fondest memories with the Lord have been on those trails! it's absolutely beautiful during summer!
Here's some pictures of the trail (albeit more than an hours walk away; this was on a biking trip me and an old friend went on last summer)

Attachments

• 20200723_075759_IMG_2620.JPG
    20200723_075759_IMG_2620.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200723_075806_IMG_2621.JPG
    20200723_075806_IMG_2621.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Aaron858

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome Aaron.

There is a URCNA church not too far from where you live: www.graceurc.com/Location.html The pastor is my wife's former pastor and he also officiated our wedding. He is a fine man and I commend him to you for pastoral oversight and counsel.
Thank you Daniel, I'm excited to be here.
I think I briefly saw URCNA during some searching for a local church, didn't look to deep if I did though.
That's great to hear you know the pastor, and that he is a fine man with commendation. Reading over their website it looks like I might fit in nicely.
If the Lord wills, I will try to get in contact with the Pastor, and this coming Sunday I will attend their online service! (If only in-person attendance was allowed!)
Thank you very much for the help. I hope and pray that it bears fruit! :)

pmachapman

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome Aaron!

I lived in Atherley for a year in '95 and have very fond memories of Orillia (I attended St Andrew's Presbyterian Church). Every year or so I get tempted to move back! (I am a Canadian and New Zealander dual citizen) Do check out the URCNA church.

Aaron858

Puritan Board Freshman
Thank you Peter!
Atherley is a lovely township, the trails and fishing spots around it are great ('the Narrows' are one of my favorite spots to go to in summer)!
St. Andrews was the only church in town I had been eyeing to possibly join, it seems rather well (and is just down the road from me!). And I don't blame you for it, Orillia/Atherley has quite a bit to offer, the downtown shops like Mariposa Market are lovely, and the Leacock Museum grounds and building are quite nice!
I've always been fond of New Zealand since my grandparents went on holidays there one summer when I was young. I got quite the fascination of the Kiwi Bird, and Tortoises, and still do, such Wonderful creatures. Hope you all can continue with your great covid numbers despite the 3 new ones! that's really quite the something! And yes indeed I will, I'm quite excited!

Stephen L Smith

Staff member
Warm greetings from another Kiwi. I went to a Bible School here in NZ with a man from Sudbury, Ontario. It was many years ago and I clearly remember him defending Arminian theology. He grew up in the Open Brethren churches in Canada.

pmachapman

Puritan Board Freshman
And I don't blame you for it, Orillia/Atherley has quite a bit to offer, the downtown shops like Mariposa Market are lovely, and the Leacock Museum grounds and building are quite nice!
Yes, the downtown was quite nice - I'm glad it still is and has survived decimation-by-mall. I think I spent most of my spare time in Winter at the hockey rink (I remember there being two), or if they were closed I would skate on Lake Couchiching (I'm a Leafs fan in exile!) Summer was a lot of fun at the Mara Provincial Park, and the fishing was awesome. And I don't remember there being massive swarms of black flies like further north in cottage country!
Hope you all can continue with your great covid numbers despite the 3 new ones! that's really quite the something!
That is one reason why I am glad I have not moved back just yet. It is easier to lockdown in an island of 5 million than most other places in the world. The major downside here however is the complete absence of Tim Hortons.

pmachapman

Puritan Board Freshman
An Island? As a South Islander I remind you that you do not live on the largest Island :):):)
Hahaha I meant an island nation! BTW I prefer Hobson's original island names of New Ulster, New Munster, and New Leinster: wouldn't you rather be a New Munsterite or New Munstarian? :D

Stephen L Smith

Staff member
Hahaha I meant an island nation! BTW I prefer Hobson's original island names of New Ulster, New Munster, and New Leinster: wouldn't you rather be a New Munsterite or New Munstarian? :D
Ha ha. We ended up with the Dutch name New 'Zealand'. Mind you I don't think Hobson considered all of NZ's Islands (eg, the Chatham Islands).

PaulCLawton

Puritan Board Freshman
Thank you Daniel, I'm excited to be here.
I think I briefly saw URCNA during some searching for a local church, didn't look to deep if I did though.
That's great to hear you know the pastor, and that he is a fine man with commendation. Reading over their website it looks like I might fit in nicely.
If the Lord wills, I will try to get in contact with the Pastor, and this coming Sunday I will attend their online service! (If only in-person attendance was allowed!)
Thank you very much for the help. I hope and pray that it bears fruit! :)

Just seconding Rev. Kok's suggestion, he is also my former pastor and a good man. You may want to reach out to him before attending to get an idea of how services are currently being conducted due to regional restrictions, it looks like you can do that through their website, or we could provide his email address through DM.

ZackF

Puritan Board Post-Graduate

I was told they always do what they’re told.

De Jager

Puritan Board Sophomore
greetings from a fellow Ontarian. I would like to third the suggestion of Rev. Kok to get in touch with the local URC pastor