Greetings from Orange County, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone. My name is Samuel Choi. I am a seminary student (M.Div) in my early forties who lives in Orange County, California. I grew up Presbyterian, attending mostly churches that were part of the Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad. The KPCA is the liberal (Karl Barth?) branch of the Presbyterian Church in Korea. For the past 3 years, I have been a member of a local Nazarene church.

I "completed" one semester at Presbyterian Theological Seminary in America (KPCA seminary). Then I completed 3 semesters at Biola University/Talbot School of Theology. After that, I completed one semester at Northeastern Seminary, located in New York (online student). I completed one year at Grace Mission University, my local Korean Presbyterian seminary. While I was attending Grace Mission University, I completed one class online through Grand Canyon University.

For location and cost reasons, I will continue my M.Div studies at Bethesda University of California, a local Korean Pentecostal seminary. After graduating from Bethesda University of California with an M.Div, I hope to complete a Doctor of Ministry degree so that I can teach at a Bible college or seminary.

Am I too theologically mixed up for PB?

B.L.

Puritan Board Sophomore
Welcome Samuel! Happy to meet you. I look forward to interacting with you on the board.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, I earned my BM at Chapman in Orange and worked for 6 years at Troy HS in Fullerton. I love the OC!

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Wow. How did you even hear about the Puritan Board?
Oh, I stumbled on the Puritan Board at least 3 years ago when I was looking for an online Christian discussion forum where I could find some Christian fellowship. Even though I am a Nazarene church member who attends a Pentecostal seminary, I have never forgotten my Reformed roots. When I lived in South Korea for 9 years after college, I attended my aunt's church. Her husband is a pastor of a church that is in the same denomination as the Canadian Reformed Churches. While I was attending that Independent Reformed church, I discovered and fell in love with the Heidelberg Catechism. Such comfort in being reminded of the grace of God in Christ Jesus!

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
BTW, I earned my BM at Chapman in Orange and worked for 6 years at Troy HS in Fullerton. I love the OC!
Wow, a fellow believer who lived in Orange County! I heard good things about Chapman University, but I did not find out about Chapman until after I had already graduated from UC Irvine. I live in Fullerton, so I only live about 10 minutes away from Troy High School. Good to see a (former?) southern California resident!

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
Still SoCal, but I live now in what is called 'The Inland Empire'. I have fond memories of Chapman (College then), but I don't know much about it now. I met my wife there.

De Jager

Puritan Board Sophomore
Oh, I stumbled on the Puritan Board at least 3 years ago when I was looking for an online Christian discussion forum where I could find some Christian fellowship. Even though I am a Nazarene church member who attends a Pentecostal seminary, I have never forgotten my Reformed roots. When I lived in South Korea for 9 years after college, I attended my aunt's church. Her husband is a pastor of a church that is in the same denomination as the Canadian Reformed Churches. While I was attending that Independent Reformed church, I discovered and fell in love with the Heidelberg Catechism. Such comfort in being reminded of the grace of God in Christ Jesus!
Have you ever considered attending Christ Reformed Church in Anaheim? It is a United Reformed Church. Dr. Kim Riddelbarger is the pastor. You might recognize the name if you have ever listened to the White Horse Inn podcasts.

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Still SoCal, but I live now in what is called 'The Inland Empire'. I have fond memories of Chapman (College then), but I don't know much about it now. I met my wife there.
Yes, I am familiar with the Inland Empire. It is only 50 miles away from my home in Fullerton, although the furthest east that I have been is the city of Riverside.

When you went to Chapman College, did you have mandatory religion classes? Chapman is technically a Christian school, or it was established by Christians.

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Have you ever considered attending Christ Reformed Church in Anaheim? It is a United Reformed Church. Dr. Kim Riddelbarger is the pastor. You might recognize the name if you have ever listened to the White Horse Inn podcasts.
A couple of years ago, I stumbled on the URCNA web site, and I really liked what I saw. I have the Anaheim Christ Reformed Church YouTube link saved in my web browser's favorites.

I have been meaning to watch one of the Christ Reformed Church worship services through YouTube, but I keep forgetting. There is also a local OPC congregation about 10 minutes from where I live in Orange County.

If I did not love my current church so much (La Mirada Church of the Nazarene), I would check out the "vibe" at Christ Reformed Church Anaheim.

The only downside to my church is that my pastor does not like Reformed theology very much, since the Church of the Nazarene is Wesleyan and Arminian.

Any church that is faithful to the Heidelberg Catechism is a good church, in my opinion!

In 2012, I returned to the United States after teaching English in South Korea.

I took the opportunity to attend a WSCAL Day (or whatever the name is) at Westminster Seminary California.

After the seminary day, I really felt drawn to WSCAL and wanted to study there.

My father was adamantly against the idea of me studying at Westminster because he is from the liberal branch of the Korean Presbyterian Church.

Because my father was opposed to me studying at Westminster California, I enrolled at Biola/Talbot.

Biola/Talbot has a good reputation in southern California's Korean-American Christian community. Plus, it is only 4 miles from our house.

(I know, I know - "You are an adult. Why did you allow your father to influence your seminary choice? Well, I DO live in his house, so.... Plus, in Korean culture, honor thy father and thy mother = obey and submit at all times)

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome! I hope and pray you stay sane!
Thank you! I do hope I stay sane.

In Korean-Chinese cuisine, we have a spicy noodle dish that contains vegetables and clams, shrimp.... In the Korean language, when we describe something that is a mixture of different things, we call that jumbled up mixture, cham-pong, which is the name of the spicy noodle dish.

Grew up Presbyterian. Member of a Wesleyan/Arminian church. Studying at a Pentecostal seminary. I am a jumbled up mixture, theologically speaking.

I really hope that I am able to stay sane, and stay true to my Reformed roots

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Am I too theologically mixed up for PB?

Everyone on the Puritan Board is so theologically astute and believes exactly the same as every other member that we all know everything you can learn about God--about what He is and what He does.

Believe that one, and I'll tell you about a bridge in Brooklyn that you can buy from me for a song.

I do hope, Samuel, that the Puritan Board will be as helpful to you as it has been to me. I think you'll find that most of us who have espoused Reformed Theology--what is often called Calvinism, are just a nicknames for consistent Christianity.

Ed Walsh

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I am familiar with the Inland Empire. It is only 50 miles away from my home in Fullerton, although the furthest east that I have been is the city of Riverside.

When you went to Chapman College, did you have mandatory religion classes? Chapman is technically a Christian school, or it was established by Christians.

Chapman had some kind of relationship with the Disciples of Christ denomination, but manifested no relationship with Christ himself. They owned a beautiful church building which was called "The All-Faiths Chapel".

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
There is a denomination called the KPCA which is a member of NAPARC, a group of confessional, Reformed denominations in North America: https://www.naparc.org/directories-2/

I'm guessing since you said the KPCA you grew up in Korea is liberal that there is no connection. Do you know much about that body?

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
There is a denomination called the KPCA which is a member of NAPARC, a group of confessional, Reformed denominations in North America: https://www.naparc.org/directories-2/

I'm guessing since you said the KPCA you grew up in Korea is liberal that there is no connection. Do you know much about that body?
Hello Mr. Jake,

There are three major branches in the Presbyterian Church in Korea. The two main branches are the conservative branch, (#6 in the list of NAPARC denominations - the Korean American Presbyterian Church) and the liberal branch of the Presbyterian Church in Korea. I grew up attending Korean immigrant churches that were part of the liberal branch of the Presbyterian Church in Korea. The churches that I attended were part of the Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad, which is a sister church of the PCUSA (Karl Barth?).

#7 on the NAPARC list is the Kosin branch of the Presbyterian Church in Korea. The Kosin branch of the Presbyterian Church is the third major branch of the Presbyterian Church in Korea. The Kosin denomination was founded by South Korean pastors who had refused to bow down/worship at the Shinto shrines during the time that Japan occupied Korea (from 1910-1945). The Kosin denomination prides itself on being the Presbyterian denomination that maintained its purity in the face of Japanese persecution of the Christian church.

Although the Kosin branch and the Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad have the same acronym (KPCA), the Kosin branch is the super conservative denomination and the Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad is the liberal branch/liberal denomination of the Presbyterian Church in Korea.

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Chapman had some kind of relationship with the Disciples of Christ denomination, but manifested no relationship with Christ himself. They owned a beautiful church building which was called "The All-Faiths Chapel".
Ah....The All-Faiths Chapel. The name explains it all

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Everyone on the Puritan Board is so theologically astute and believes exactly the same as every other member that we all know everything you can learn about God--about what He is and what He does.

Believe that one, and I'll tell you about a bridge in Brooklyn that you can buy from me for a song.

I do hope, Samuel, that the Puritan Board will be as helpful to you as it has been to me. I think you'll find that most of us who have espoused Reformed Theology--what is often called Calvinism, are just a nicknames for consistent Christianity.

Ed Walsh
Ah yes, I suspected that everyone on the Puritan Board was theologically homogeneous. Now, about that bridge in Brooklyn....how much are you willing to sell it for, Mr. Walsh?

During my 41 short years in this world, I have found that Reformed theology/Calvinism is biblical Christianity.

Jerusalem Blade

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Welcome to PB, Samuel! You will no doubt sharpen and clarify your doctrinal views after hanging out here a while!

InerrantBible

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome to PB, Samuel! You will no doubt sharpen and clarify your doctrinal views after hanging out here a while!
Reverend Rafalsky, thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, I look forward to sharpening/clarifying my doctrinal views. I hope that I will be more firmly planted in my Reformed views during my time on PB

Status
Not open for further replies.