Greetings from Pittsburgh!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wcf_linux, Nov 4, 2019.

1. wcf_linux

wcf_linux Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings from Pittsburgh!

I am Kevin, and I'm married to bookish_Basset. I'm a professional Linux person who works in the tech industry. (Hence the user name.) I'm also a church history/historical theology geek. I used to do some writing on a site belonging to a college friend, and I've recently been trying to get back into writing even if not for formal publication.

I'm originally from the Los Angeles area, and like my wife I was raised in the Independent Christian Churches (Restoration Movement). I spent high school and early adulthood in various kinds of evangelical churches. I went to Biola for college, where I made my first small steps towards Reformed theology but also picked up a mild case of Anglican fandom. I cured the latter by attending a pair of theologically liberal graduate schools (one on the East Coast and the other in California) where I studied church history. (Seeing everyone responding to the "confessing to plants" service at Union made me feel like more of my Reformed brothers finally understood what I had to put up with at similar schools!)

My church history studies contributed to my gradual Calvinization. One of my grad school profs unwittingly helped greatly by his emphasis on how the early Lutheran and Reformed leaders spoke of their practice of reformed worship and preaching as making the Church visible. Some developments at the then-PCA church plant we attended in the Bay Area got me studying the Westminster Standards, which is when it all really clicked for me. In particular, it was the doctrine of Effectual Calling that showed me that those "Five Points" actually had something to do with what's going on in pulpit and pew in actual churches.

We moved to Saint Louis in 2010. I was for a little while under care and an intern. However my failure to finish my dissertation and my need to support my household demonstrated that my more immediate calling was to Gainful Employment. That's when I jumped ship to IT.

This year I was finally able to move us out to Pittsburgh, so Sarah could be closer to her parents.

I'm hoping Puritan Board will be a good place to participate in discussion. Facebook's dysfunctional and Twitter is a moral hazard, which is what convinced me to stop just lurking here.

• Like Like x 8
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • Rejoicing Rejoicing x 1
    • List
  2. JennyGeddes

JennyGeddes Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

3. Kinghezy

Kinghezy Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

Pittsburgh isn't too far from me. We will be traveling to Irwin over Thanksgiving week to visit my wife's father.

Your name caught my attention. My distribution of choice is Debian

4. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

Welcome! We have some things in common:
    1. I enjoy studying church history.
    2. I work in technology.
    3. I'm a Linux fan.
    4. We're members of NAPARC churches.

5. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

Mint
    /bin/bash (obviously)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Greetings.

7. Berean

Berean Puritan Board Doctor

Welcome to the PB, Kevin.

8. TheBruisedReed

TheBruisedReed Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings! You speak much truth regarding the cesspools of FB and Twitter, btw.

9. wcf_linux

If we're talking distro of choice, I go for Fedora. I like keeping on the latest stuff, and all of my corporate IT work has been on RHEL/CentOS which are derived from Fedora.

Now, since distro comparisons can raise almost as much fury as denominational comparisons, let me add: Mint is great. It's what I got started with, and it's a strong "it just works" distribution. Their desktop environments are pretty great, too. Debian is a great stable distribution, though I'll admit I've mainly used it on Raspberry Pis.

10. Frosty

Frosty Puritan Board Sophomore

Greetings, from a fellow Pittsburgher.

11. Relztrah

Relztrah Puritan Board Freshman

"Calvinization" I love it! I believe you've coined a new term. Greetings from up the road in Butler and welcome to the PB.

12. a mere housewife

a mere housewife Not your cup of tea

Yay! Sarah is one of my favoritest people. Yours too, I guess. I'm so glad you're here. :)

13. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

My favorite in the 'old days' was Puppy. Pop in a CD, boot up, and be on the internet before Windows would even get started.

14. Andrew35

Andrew35 Puritan Board Freshman

I also like mints and have been known to wear a fedora.

15. wcf_linux

Given all the nice things Sarah has said about you, I'm glad too!

16. StephenMartyr

StephenMartyr Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

17. Von

Von Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome!

18. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

Welcome to the board, fellow Pennsylvanian! :)

19. RJ Spencer

RJ Spencer Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings neighbor! There are many of us Pennsylvanians on Puritan Board! My wife and I will be moving to Grove City from west Erie this spring.

20. PhilA

PhilA Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome

21. ZackF

ZackF Puritan Board Graduate

Welcome sir! Reformed Linux? That’s a new one.

22. C. M. Sheffield

C. M. Sheffield Puritan Board Junior

Welcome to the board. I hope to hear from you going forward. I certainly hope you find your exchanges here informative and edifying.

23. Ray

Ray Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings.....

24. wcf_linux

I almost went with something similar to my wife's username (hortatory_hound was the other one I considered), but the idea of going for something Reformed + tech seemed promising. Then I thought of this one, which seemed suitably distinctive. Then I thought of making a Tux Calvin avatar, which was too hilarious to pass up.

25. Saxon

Saxon Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome, from another Keystone State resident!