Greg Bahnsen on hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Short

Puritan Board Freshman
Greg Bahnsen says hell is eternal and the people will be living forever in torment, but then he says the fire is a symbol bot literal Iss this correct or unorthodox or a debate issue?

Does it really matter? People will spend an eternity separated from God and the common grace all men currently experience. Besides being a lake of fire, hell is also described as a place where will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. So I'd have to say, I don't know for sure.

I agree with "Does it really matter?" I do believe the fire is literal, but even if it's not, hell will be, um, hell.

hell

so as long as we believe hell is torment for ever in mental and physical pain, we can debate how literal the image of fire is. When Revelation speaks of the dead being judged according to their works and every sin being exposed and brought out into the open, does that mean believers are saved but they will endure the a bit of shame on judgment day of having their dirty linen brought out?

This image of the fire is taken from the literal sheol, which is a city garbage heap. If you've ever been to one, you'll note that there is always smoke rising from such heaps, from the heat generated from the decay. This is why you'll find layers of ash in piles of cut grass when left to sit for a long time. When Jesus spoke of this in Mark 9:44-48, this was the reference- a place of eternal decay where the state of being destroyed never ends.

Theognome

Being in complete aguish for all of eternity apart from God, and apart from any of God's grace is the most horrifying thing imaginable. God alone provides relief. In the place of torment, a drop of water would seem an oasis.

I have had nightmares (while in a coma) in which I would wake from one tortuous situation into another and then another, and another for what seemed to be weeks. It was truly a terrifying experience.

If my finite and sinful mind, which is bent on self preservation can imagine such horror, how much more horror can be created by the Infinite and Holy and Just God? Fire or not; God knows the very fears of our hearts, and even if He only unleashed our sinful minds upon ourselves for eternity, it would be terrifying beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
God uses images we can understand to express concepts we cannot. We can't grasp eternal hell, but we do understand darkness, loneliness, pain, despair, decay, regret, and torment.

I have had nightmares (while in a coma) in which I would wake from one tortuous situation into another and then another, and another for what seemed to be weeks. It was truly a terrifying experience.

So, I take it then that you've been to Detroit?

Theognome

sorry

I meant to add

that must had been a nasty experience are you ok now? can I ask about it?

Andrew Short
Lay person
Reformed Church of Canberra (in Australia)

I meant to add

Andrew Short
Lay person

Okay, since you would like the question asked, here you go-

"that must had been a nasty experience are you ok now? can I ask about it?"

Theognome

Would anyone in Hell repent if given the chance? Or are the gates of Hell locked from the inside?

AMR

Though this might be better discussed in another thread, I believe sinners in hell would be less likely to repent if given the chance than those upon the earth. Their corrupt nature only grows darker. Common grace no longer hinders their rebellion. The truth of who God is, they now understand; and so their hatred of Him can only intensify.

Do they wish they could escape the pain? Most likely. But do they want God and wish they could be in heaven? I dont believe that would be possible. Im reminded of the sinners in the Book of Revelation who, after coming under severe judgments from God, only gnash their teeth at Him and blaspheme all the more. Hell will be much the same; thus we will glory in God's justice as we see Him crush these vile creatures.

I have to agree with Thomas. I remember years ago Robert McGee (author of The Search for Significance) told me that people in hell wouldn't cry out to God even if they had the choice. It made me think long and hard and eventually this statement catapulted me into learning the doctrines of grace. People in hell wouldn't choose God because their heart is set against him. They hate God so much that they prefer the eternal torment before bowing a knee to the King of Kings. When I understood this, I began to understand election and so on and so on.

I meant to add

Andrew Short
Lay person

Sure. Sorry if this is long.

I was newly married, 6 months or so at the time. My wife was surely going through worse, thinking that her husband was going to die. By God's grace we got through it. I had a severe athsma attack and I passed out when we got to the hospital I was put into a coma so that they could hook me up to machines to regulate my breathing.

I was in the coma for a week. I was aware during the experience, at least subconciously. I do believe that the enemy used this as an opportunity as an attempt to drive a wedge of hoplessness into my heart. The experiences that I went through felt as real as my fingers typing on this keyboard. I remember it vividly. I did not feel the presence of God at all. I cried out for Him, but I did not, in the circumstance feel His presence.

I was chained to a rack and submitted to all manner of torture, rape and and degradation. Things I would have never even thought my mind capable of conceiving. I truly thought I might be in hell. I wondered if my faith had been self deception. I would wake up, in the dream, and think I had been dreaming, only to find myself in another horrible situation. I tried to escape, but even when I managed to get away, they would catch me and subject me to worse.

This went on and on. And on. And on.......

By the Lord's grace, I came out of the coma a week later, but I thought what I had experienced was real. There was way more that happened. It would take way too long to write it all, and I wouldn't want to anyway. All I can say is that a week in hell, feeling apart from God's grace is unbearable. I thank Jesus for saving me from an eternity of it. (I know that wasn't even approaching the true reality of hell, it was just a dream.)

My wife told me later that while I was in the coma she would talk to me, and play my favorite music for me in headphones. :) She and our family, friends and church were praying for me.

She told me later that she asked me my favorite Bible verse and I immediatley said:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

I said that while coming out of the coma :) I know now, in retrospect that God was with us the entire time. We both suffered a bout of depression afterwards, but the experience ultimately strengthened our marriage and our faith. I still wake up at night sometimes terrified that my faith is self deception. It's not, because I trust in Jesus Christ and His righteouesness alone, but I also know I deserve hell for eternity.

Sorry if I'm rambling I am tired and need to go to bed. :)

I have to agree with Thomas. I remember years ago Robert McGee (author of The Search for Significance) told me that people in hell wouldn't cry out to God even if they had the choice. It made me think long and hard and eventually this statement catapulted me into learning the doctrines of grace. People in hell wouldn't choose God because their heart is set against him. They hate God so much that they prefer the eternal torment before bowing a knee to the King of Kings. When I understood this, I began to understand election and so on and so on.
Good feedback. In fact I have often thought that if anyone actually could repent in Hell then they would know that they are exactly where they belong, for their sentence was justified.

Sorry to derail the thread.

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back