Greg Nichols - Volume 3 is Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Those of you who get Reformation Heritage Books's emails will know that Volume 3 of Greg Nichols's systematic theology is now available. It's on the Doctrine of Christ. Looks like another fat volume.

That's 3 down, 4 to go, I reckon.

Those of you who get Reformation Heritage Books's emails will know that Volume 3 of Greg Nichols's systematic theology is now available. It's on the Doctrine of Christ. Looks like another fat volume.

That's 3 down, 4 to go, I reckon.

I suppose this is sort of off-topic, but am I the only one who doesn't get the promotion of Baptists and Baptist literature by RHB, PRTS, Dr. Beeke, etc,?

Paul, I would respond to your query by noting that the origin of Baptist theology is solidly in the Reformed camp. Furthermore, there are no two closer major strands of Christendom than the Reformed/Presbyterians, and the confessional Baptists. I, for one, have no trouble at all recommending some Roman Catholic books that do their job well (understanding that all books, even Reformed volumes, have to be read with discernment and discretion). If that is the case, how much easier is it to recommend someone like Nichols! There are plenty of Baptists at PRTS, including one of my best seminary friends, and fellow doctoral student, Tiago Oliveira.

While acknowledging the truth of what you wrote Rev Keister, the confessional commitments of both

PRTS, "...committed to teaching within the confessionally Reformed tradition. Of significant importance to us are the Three Forms of Unity and Westminster Standards."

and Heritage Books, "RHB aims that reading material be...in accord with the Scriptures and historic Reformed creeds for the promotion and defense of the gospel of Jesus Christ...Foundational to the mission of RHB is its identity as a confessionally Reformed publisher. Each book we publish, or carry from another publisher, subscribes to, or is judged according to the cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith as expressed in the Ecumenical Creeds and the teaching of the Reformed faith as expressed in the Three Forms of Unity (The Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Catechism, and the Canons of Dort) and the Westminster Standards"

Seem incongruous with the promotion of baptist doctrine, ministers and publications.

Beeke's new systematic theology - Volume 1 will be out at the end of March - is being co-written with Paul Smalley, who is Reformed Baptist. So, I guess we'll get a blend of Dutch Reformed and Reformed Baptist in this work!

Beeke's new systematic theology - Volume 1 will be out at the end of March - is being co-written with Paul Smalley, who is Reformed Baptist. So, I guess we'll get a blend of Dutch Reformed and Reformed Baptist in this work!

Yes, this is another example of the kind of thing I am talking about.

Paul, I would respond to your query by noting that the origin of Baptist theology is solidly in the Reformed camp. Furthermore, there are no two closer major strands of Christendom than the Reformed/Presbyterians, and the confessional Baptists. I, for one, have no trouble at all recommending some Roman Catholic books that do their job well (understanding that all books, even Reformed volumes, have to be read with discernment and discretion). If that is the case, how much easier is it to recommend someone like Nichols! There are plenty of Baptists at PRTS, including one of my best seminary friends, and fellow doctoral student, Tiago Oliveira.
There is so much that we agree upon as Christians, that it would be a shame to have in house discussions cause any division in our ranks!

There is so much that we agree upon as Christians, that it would be a shame to have in house discussions cause any division in our ranks!

There is a difference between "causing division" and making distinctions. RHB and PRTS have made a distinction by subscribing to (or at least aligning themselves with) the historic Reformed confessions. I have for a while, found it odd that they promote baptist authors and publications, as I would find it odd if a publisher which subscribes to the LBCF would publish Presbyterian and Reformed works.

My initial question was, am I the only one who doesn't "get it" meaning is confused by their practice. Based on the responses above, the answer is "yes".

There is a difference between "causing division" and making distinctions. RHB and PRTS have made a distinction by subscribing to (or at least aligning themselves with) the historic Reformed confessions. I have for a while, found it odd that they promote baptist authors and publications, as I would find it odd if a publisher which subscribes to the LBCF would publish Presbyterian and Reformed works.

My initial question was, am I the only one who doesn't "get it" meaning is confused by their practice. Based on the responses above, the answer is "yes".
The Confessing Baptists would be pretty much in agreement on the substantial areas with Reformed Presbyterians, and the main disagreement would still be in house discussion points, such as water baptism. but not nearly as much difference as with say Arminian Christians.

The Confessing Baptists would be pretty much in agreement on the substantial areas with Reformed Presbyterians, and the main disagreement would still be in house discussion points, such as water baptism. but not nearly as much difference as with say Arminian Christians.

I am aware of the similarities and differences. I still think it's odd.

I am aware of the similarities and differences. I still think it's odd.

In answer to your question, I am sure you're not the ONLY one, but you're certainly in a (thankfully) small minority.

FYI, in regard to a point you've made above, there are indeed quite many who profess the 2LBCF as a doctrinal standard that actively promote works by Confessional Paedorhantists, so it's not that odd at all that the favor would be returned.

In answer to your question, I am sure you're not the ONLY one, but you're certainly in a (thankfully) small minority.

FYI, in regard to a point you've made above, there are indeed quite many who profess the 2LBCF as a doctrinal standard that actively promote works by Confessional Paedorhantists, so it's not that odd at all that the favor would be returned.

Which publishers are you referring to?

What is a "paedorhantist?"

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back