Gregory of Nazianzus quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
Gregory of Nazianzus (329/330-389): To tell you plainly, I am determined to fly every convention of bishops; for I never yet saw a council that ended happily. Instead of lessening, they invaribly augment the mischief. The passion for victory and the lust of power (you will perhaps think my freedom intolerable) are not to be described in words. One present as judge will much more readily catch the infection from others than be able to restrain it in them. For this reason, I must conclude that the only security of one’s peace and virtue is in retirement. Epistle 130 - To Procopium. See John Harrison, Whose Are the Fathers? (London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1867), p. 468. For the Greek text, see Epistola CXXX - ad Procopium, PG 37:225.

What makes this Cappadocian father's remark so interesting is that he made it about one year after he resigned as the moderator/president of what has come to be known as the second ecumenical council of the Church, the Council of Constantinople 381 AD. Gregory of Nazianzus was one of the three Cappadocian fathers, the other two being Basil of Caesarea (AD. 329-379) and his brother, Gregory of Nyssa (AD. 335-95).

DTK

[Edited on 8-2-2005 by DTK]

[Edited on 8-2-2005 by DTK]

Reading quotes like this is incredible. It puts today in perspective. There is nothing new under the sun. Human nature stays the same.

Thanks for these windows into our history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back