Grieving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
Are there any good Puritan treatments on grief and grieving? I am looking for advice on how to grieve properly in the event of lost loved ones and the like.

William Jay, The Happy Mourner: Consolations of God & Sympathy for the Bereaved, (Old Path Publications: Willow Street, PA) 2000

While probably not "technically" Puritan, this work "selected from the writings of William Jay (published originally in 1837) is an excellent source of comfort and encouragemnet to the grief-stricken.

Although too late to be a puritan, Abraham Kuyter's work should certainly be considered: In The Shadow of Death. An example from it:

"Jesus' example therefore shows, how such emotions of our heart have their right of human existence; that impassiveness is no virtue; that blunting of our feeling is no fruit of faith; and that to remain stolid in most striking moments in our life, betrays a condition of mind and heart, which has its place with stoical philosophers, but is not at home with children of God."

Guys - thanks for the recommendations. I actually did not mean to limit the request to Puritans in spite of my original post. So if you know of other works, especially booklets and the like, please let me know. Thanks!

Guys - thanks for the recommendations. I actually did not mean to limit the request to Puritans in spite of my original post. So if you know of other works, especially booklets and the like, please let me know. Thanks!

I heard James White say that he wrote this book either during the time or after he served as a hospice chaplin. I think it's based on his experiences and (of course... knowing White) scripture.

I heard James White say that he wrote this book either during the time or after he served as a hospice chaplin. I think it's based on his experiences and (of course... knowing White) scripture.

Thanks, it looks good and I will pick it up.

You might also want to read Thomas Case's "A Prospect of Heaven" in his Select Works. Even his preface to it to his son-in-law is quite moving. If I remember right, Case's grandson (at eleven years old) died. And he wrote this book as a comfort to his son-in-law. (I might be wrong. If so someone correct me.)

But I do remember tearing up just reading the preface...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back