Grove City College?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglicanorthodoxy

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm going to be visiting the college in the next few weeks, and it is pretty high on my list. I'ts small, fairly conservative, and seems to have a very strong reputation. My only concern is that I'm not sure how "Christian" it is. I want to attend a college with a strong Christian environment and culture. (no drinking, drugs, fornication, short skirts, etc) If there are any current student at Grove City on here, or if you know any, I'd really appreciate it if you could help. I want to know what the culture of the school is really like from people who have direct experience with the place. I've been told by a few people that Grove City cares more about conservative politics than being a Christian school? Is this true?

A great place to study Austrian economics. :banana:

Seriously, I've no first hand knowledge of the school but the litany of sins you gave can be found to some degree at any college. There is no doubt though that a truly Christian school would be a considerably better environment.

My only concern is that I'm not sure how "Christian" it is.

From everything I've heard, far better than most.

(no drinking, drugs, fornication, short skirts, etc)

I'll make a rare apology for this, but my first reaction was to chuckle. The closest one could probably come to this is Bob Jones University, but they have a litany of other issues (including some bad theology) which should keep them off your list. Maybe John Brown (but like Baylor, they now allow dancing).

I have heard a lot of good things about the college. Plus, I believe there are several good churches nearby. I also think that Iain Duguid, now a professor at Westminster Seminary, used to be a professor there.

It's an excellent school from all I have heard. A good friend's daughter who is well-grounded spiritually is a freshman there this year and so far is happy with the culture. I would be delighted if my own son (who is currently looking at colleges) were to attend there. Don't let the possibility of a few short skirts and/or faculty members who may imbibe deter you.

I taught there from 2006 to 2014 and would highly recommend it. The academics are excellent, the Biblical & Religious Studies department is consistently conservative and reformed, the new president is a former elder in the PCA (Dr David Coffin's church to be more precise). The student atmosphere is warmly evangelical and on Sunday mornings you'll see most students headed out to church somewhere. They have a great pre-law program if that is still an interest.

In terms of the rules, there are sensible rules about alcohol and drugs, wisely enforced, as well as rules governing intervisitation in dorm rooms. But it's no Bob Jones: if you want dress codes, bans on dancing and holding hands, then you'll need to look elsewhere. Shouldn't college be a place where students start to learn how to make their own decisions about these things, even if they make some mistakes along the way?

Perhaps most significantly, given your interest in Anglicanism, there is an excellent Anglican church nearby (Grace Anglican in Slippery Rock), where many students attend (along with Dr T David Gordon). The preaching is warm, biblical and broadly reformed, and during term time they also hold services in Grove City. I would reiterate the advice of others that finding a great church to attend should be a significant part of the search process. If you visit the college, try to make time to attend the church as well. And if you meet my son Sam in the admissions office, say hi!

When you guys say Grove City allows "dancing", what do you mean? I don't have any issue with Classical forms of dancing( Swing, Waltz, etc) However, I do have a problem with modern styles of dancing (which can get really inappropriate)I don't attend any of the dances that my private high school holds because I don't approve of the forms of dancing they allow. What styles/forms of dancing are allowed at Grove City?

I do have a problem with modern styles of dancing

Are you talking about this, or are you talking about Miley Cyrus style?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SznyW4SM_q4

Nice video from the annual Orchesis dance program, which includes swing, ballet, modern and Irish step dancing. There are also swing and ballroom clubs as well as an annual "Pemberley Ball" (think Jane Austen movies. And yes there are a number of other student-run dances of a variety of kinds. None of these are compulsory events...you will not be assaulted by a flash mob and made to participate in a dance that offends your sensibilities.

If you want to attend a College, you have to make some choices about what amount of diversity of conscience you are willing to put up with. Otherwise, it doesn't sound like there is anywhere on earth that meets up to all of the standards you want to set. Personally, I think that the thought that some students somewhere on campus might be dancing in a way that you find inappropriate probably shouldn't be top of your list of objections to a particular school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back