Growing up Methodist on.....Halloween!

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
:rofl:......Bless my parents hearts.....really people....they did not know about pagan origins of this "Holiday"....but I stared laughing earlier...those of you who grew up nominal......did you ever go with the plastic pumpkin and from a few houses......you would get....yes. The infamous Jack Chick Tracts! Those used to tick me off! I wanted a Snickers! What was that! Any of you guys ever get those.....the Chicklets! Man!;)

Last edited:
Yes on the plastic pumpkin, I can't remember getting a chick tract for sure. Some of them were pretty scary though which is fitting for a Halloween. :lol:

Muslim countries were oblivious to Halloween, the Europeans were new to it, dressing up and candy are very American but costume parties were universally enjoyed, no Christianity ever walked into my life at the time.

totglobe2.gif

I grew up as a Methodist too. The church use to encourage us do trick-or-treat for Unicef. I was thinking this week, though I'm sure its a worthy cause, how unusual it seems now for a church to encourage its kids to participate in Halloween.

totglobe2.gif

I grew up as a Methodist too. The church use to encourage us do trick-or-treat for Unicef. I was thinking this week, though I'm sure its a worthy cause, how unusual it seems now for a church to encourage its kids to participate in Halloween.
I think they tried to do the Unicef thing in the 70's for us....my siter and I decided that was a rip.....so we took our chances with getting a few Chick toons stuck in our plastic pumpkins!;).....I used to think those Chick tracts were scary....besides making me mad....I wanted a SNICKERS!:down:

I have never had the fortune to see a Chick tract outside of the wonderful world of the internet. I did have a plastic pumpkin, though.

totglobe2.gif

I grew up Methodist as well. I can remember my MOM bribing me and my brother to go to church when we were very young. She would tell us she would take us to the store after church. My dad worked a lot and my mom was doing the best she could to raise us with some sense of God. I remember plenty of chick tracks, but not as a part of my Methodist experience.

I have never had the fortune to see a Chick tract outside of the wonderful world of the internet. I did have a plastic pumpkin, though.
Scott man....you really missed out not having seen one of these things up close and in person.:lol:......They were more scary than Halloween itself!:D

I grew up Methodist as well. I can remember my MOM bribing me and my brother to go to church when we were very young. She would tell us she would take us to the store after church. My dad worked a lot and my mom was doing the best she could to raise us with some sense of God. I remember plenty of chick tracks, but not as a part of my Methodist experience.
Amen for moms!

Growing up in a Methodist household, what memories stand out most for you?

I've been thinking about this lately, and there are a couple of things that stand out for me, things my parents taught me (not formally, but just by osmosis I guess).

1. Its important to pray at the dinner table and thank God for the food he's provided.
2. Its important to pray before you go to bed (my dad always prayed with me before I went to sleep)
3. Sunday is a special day. (we always went to church on Sunday, and I wasn't allowed to play with my friends on Sundays)

Amen for moms!

I've been thinking about this lately, and there are a couple of things that stand out for me, things my parents taught me (not formally, but just by osmosis I guess).

1. Its important to pray at the dinner table and thank God for the food he's provided.
2. Its important to pray before you go to bed (my dad always prayed with me before I went to sleep)
3. Sunday is a special day. (we always went to church on Sunday, and I wasn't allowed to play with my friends on Sundays)
Amen! Thank God for Mom's! My mom is still a Methodist.....but I think she is saved. Even the Reformers believed one could be in a less than perfect "system" grace can still reach through that. My mom reads her Bible a lot and prays a lot....really she is not into much theology....she takes Scripture as the word of God and lives it as best she can. She really is a Biblical Christian..despite her being in the UMC, Arminian Theology is not something she knows or really cares much about. To her credit Mom focuses on Christ.:pilgrim:

Amen for moms!

Ours was not a strict Religious upbringing Bob. We were hit and miss on any given Sunday. Mom tried the best she could to be consistent, but we were VERY sporadic in attendance. We did pray at the table. My brother and I led the standard "God is Good" prayer. Dad never took the initiative. This saddens me when I think about it. I wonder how my life would have been different IF my dad had been a strong spiritual leader in our family. Regardless, God is Good. He is the one who overcame all those difficulties and shortcomings I had growing up. Sometimes I wonder WHY he even bothered with me at all--given my unremarkable unbringing and my own "unremarkableness" early on--and even now. I'm constantly humbled and thankful when I think about my past. Knowing where I came from and where I could be is a constant source of amazement for me. How He works ALL things for the Good of His elect is so far beyond me I often wake up in tears in the middle of the night just thinking about it....

Amen! Thank God for Mom's! My mom is still a Methodist.....but I think she is saved. Even the Reformers believed one could be in a less than perfect "system" grace can still reach through that. My mom reads her Bible a lot and prays a lot....really she is not into much theology....she takes Scripture as the word of God and lives it as best she can. She really is a Biblical Christian..despite her being in the UMC, Arminian Theology is not something she knows or really cares much about. To her credit Mom focuses on Christ.:pilgrim:
That's neat to hear that about your mom. Praise the Lord.

That's neat to hear that about your mom. Praise the Lord.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back