Grudem, apologist for the vineyard/thirdwave movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Puritan Board Sophomore
I hear that Wayne Grudem is an apologist for the vineyard/thirdwave movement. I was wondering if anybody has proof to verify this. His section on the "gifts" in his systematic theology is rather awkward and I can see where he could get off into this mess.

My question is whether he is actively supporting and defending them, or whether they are just using his material. I did a quick websearch but I was not convinced by the credibility of the sites. Evidence?????

Rembrandt

I loved his systematic. when goes into it one must understand that he is baptist, charismatic, premill. and "refrmed" (in some areas). It makes for an interrestng combo. one of the things i liked about it was the spirituality of it (he includes memory verses and hymns at the end of each chapter). It is one of my favorite systematics.

Scott, you mean you did not return "Prayer of Jabez?" LOL.:D

When Grudem was at TEDS he attended a Southern Baptist church... despite the fact that there is a BIG Vineyard church in the area (Evanston Vineyard) that he could have attended.
There is somewhat of a spectrum in the Vineyard churches... some are more "open but cautious" others are "foaming at the mouth pentacostals." Regardless of how his book comes across... in reality he would tend to really be "open but cautious." What his position does is it allows him to leave open the possibility of the signs gifts... thus enabling him to avoid the precarious position of calling literally millions of Christians liars or deceived in literally every instance.

His work is so often used and cited by Charismatics because, quite frankly, he is the most (if not the only) respected theologian to hold an open position.

[quote:dc682fe74b][i:dc682fe74b]Originally posted by SolaScriptura[/i:dc682fe74b]
When Grudem was at TEDS he attended a Southern Baptist church... despite the fact that there is a BIG Vineyard church in the area (Evanston Vineyard) that he could have attended.
There is somewhat of a spectrum in the Vineyard churches... some are more "open but cautious" others are "foaming at the mouth pentacostals." Regardless of how his book comes across... in reality he would tend to really be "open but cautious." What his position does is it allows him to leave open the possibility of the signs gifts... thus enabling him to avoid the precarious position of calling literally millions of Christians liars or deceived in literally every instance.

His work is so often used and cited by Charismatics because, quite frankly, he is the most (if not the only) respected theologian to hold an open position. [/quote:dc682fe74b]

Brother, he does more than hold an "open position." If you read his works you will find out quickly that he doesn't merely believe in the possibility that the gifts (proph. an tongues) could still be around but, rather, he firmly advocates their modern day existance in the Church.

[quote:b374d856eb][i:b374d856eb]Originally posted by Christopher[/i:b374d856eb]
Brother, he does more than hold an "open position." If you read his works you will find out quickly that he doesn't merely believe in the possibility that the gifts (proph. an tongues) could still be around but, rather, he firmly advocates their modern day existance in the Church. [/quote:b374d856eb]

True, he does believe they exist... but if you actually talk to him and reference a specific instance... you'll find that he doesn't just go "yeah, that was legit!" In fact, friends of mine who took him for classes said that he thinks that MOST of the tongues/prophecy/healing stuff is phony... but yes, he does think that these things still have a legitmate place in the church.

But I don't want to give too much of an impression that I am trying to defend his stance. I can't believe that such a good mind comes to such a silly conclusion.... It's like he's wasting his brain or something.:dunce:

[Edited on 4-9-2004 by SolaScriptura]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back