Guess the Years Contest ***WIN A FREE ANTIQUE PURITAN BOOK***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I wanna be a pooper, and maybe this is just a good idea for future reference, but ... the rule could be like The Price is Right when people guess the same number. Whomever was closer without going over wins. That way two different winnings don't need to be given, nor an arbitrary or random decision.

OKAY! Here we go!

First book is 179 years old!

photo1-15.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

That would be creating rules after the start of play...not very nice at all...

I said that I would do that NEXT time....

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Book #2 is 195 years old!

photo2-14.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Next one is 380 years old!!!

photo3-13.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

next one is exactly 200 years old!

photo4-10.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

The next is (one of) my first edition of Justification by Faith by John Owen

334 years old!

(by the way, I am going from left to right, in the picture of all the books)

photo5-4.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

next is my only book by Jonathan Edwards....

168 years old!

photo1-14.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Next is my other copy of Justification by Faith by Owen. This one is in the original binding and in pretty much mint condition.

334 years old again!

photo2-13.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Next is Indwelling Sin by Owen....first edition.

343 years old!!

photo3-12.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

This is my favorite book that I own, Elisha Coles "Practical Discourse on the Sovereignty of God"

285 years old!

photo4-9.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Here's the next one! The paper in this one feels like a brand new t-shirt....

248 years!

photo5-3.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

This next one is an oldie!

333 years old!

photo1-13.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Here is John Owen's book on Communion with God

241 years old! (this one predates the U.S. by 6 years)

photo2-12.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Next is Sanctification of the Lord's Day....

223 years old!

photo5-2.jpg

Here is half of the book that has "two" titles in it. The first book is

199 years old!!!

photo3-11.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

the other title in it is a year older, at exactly 200 years old!

photo4-8.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Five more left! This title is

205 years old. This is a most excellent book!

photo1-12.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Here's a wonderful book by Isaac Watts....I have a tough time reading this one.

274 years old!

photo2-11.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

This is a wonderful book. I purchased it from New Zealand, from a book dealer there. The bad thing is that in the middle of the book, it is missing around 40 pages or so, and is not complete. The dealer insisted they knew nothing about it so they let me pick a book out for nothing, at the same value as the one I bought, getting to keep both.

323 years old

photo3-10.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

The best book, hands down, on the Doctrine of Regeneration.

211 years old

photo4-7.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

The next book there was a discrepancy when I purchased it.

You can see why. According to the dealer I bought it from, they stated it was from 1672. However, when I received it, I found this to be incorrect. Do you see what I see? There is a space missing where there should be another "C" representing 100 years, and thus, 1772. I contacted the dealer and he flatly refused to reduce the price. He stated that the book is from 1672, even though if you hold the book up to the light, you can clearly see the "C" that was either erased from the date, or, was taken off using some sort of acid.

He said that he would do a return, but I would have to pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee. Since it came from England and was a larger book, it would have cost me half the price in shipping it back, compared to what I paid, so I just decided to keep it and not give the dealer any of my business again.

239 years!

photo5-1.jpg

there are 20 books total, totaling 5,114 years.

About reaganmarsh
Biography
Pastor's kid turned Pastor! Kara and I have been married since October 2010 we have one son. We've been privileged to serve in Gospel ministry since 1998 for Christ our King. My passion is to glorify God by leading and equipping the local church in the work of progressive discipleship and evangelism in a Biblical, Christ-centered manner. I have just been called to pastor Beacon Baptist Church in Albany, GA (started there 5/1/11).
Interests
Covenant theology, Knowing Christ, Strong Coffee, Mexican food, Biblical studies, Church History, Historical theology, Systematic Theology Enjoying God, Enjoying My Wife, Teaching the Bible, Preaching, Playing With My Son, Spending Time With My Family, Research, Reading, Guitar, Nouthetic Counseling, Enjoying God's Creation Jonathan Edwards, Al Mohler, Tom Nettles, Michael Horton, Matthew Henry, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes, Jay Adams, James Petigru Boyce, Charles Spurgeon, Louis Berkhof, Wayne Grudem, R.C. Sproul, John Piper, The Puritans, Thomas Watson, Martin Luther, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, John Owen, John Calvin, The Works of Jonathan Edwards, According to Plan, Systematic Theology, The Bible The Princess Bride, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, Sovereign Grace Music, The Gettys, Shane and shane "The Law is for the proud, and the Gospel is for the brokenhearted." - Martin Luther
Church Information
Denomination Name
Southern Baptist
Confessional Subscription
London Baptist Confession
Church Office Held
Pastor/Teaching Elder

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

5100 years...

reaganmarsh! You are the winner!!!!

Ya...I overshot by almost double.

I saw a 4,000+ year gap with the higher guesses, and the guesses between 2,000 and 7,000 were getting a bit crowded. So I split the gap and hoped I would get lucky, since if it did go that high, my odds of winning would quadruple.

....clearly I didn't get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back