Guillaume Bucanus on the aseity of God the Son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
But did the Son take his Deity from the Father?

When we speak simply of the Son without the Father, we avouch truly and properly that he is of himself, and call him God, because of himself he hath his being, and all that he hath; and therefore we call him one alone beginning. But when we point at that relation which he hath with his Father, we justly make the Father the beginning of the Son, and say that the Son received all from the Father, Joh. 3.33.

For the Essence is one thing, and the manner of subsisting another. Hence it is that the schoolmen say, that the Son is by himself not of himself. So the essence of the Son is without beginning, but the Father is the beginning of his Person. This made Hilary to say: The gifts of the Father do not infirm but affirm the Divinity of the Son. And Augustine, Christ in regard of himself is called God, and of the Father is called the Son.

For the reference, see:

I had never heard of this man before this post. His Institutes is an excellent resource. I love the question and answer format. And the English translation, though well over 400 years old, is quite readable.

I found his work on EEBO. Is there a PDF somewhere?

Daniel, do you perchance have more historical resources on this subject? I enjoyed this one, but would like to understand more in my feeble mind the difference between the beginning of his essence and the beginning of his person.

Daniel, do you perchance have more historical resources on this subject? I enjoyed this one, but would like to understand more in my feeble mind the difference between the beginning of his essence and the beginning of his person.

Jerrod, I do not recall reading a huge amount of material on the subject, though the second paragraph of this extract from Daniel Featley may be of use to you:

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpress.com/2020/04/26/daniel-featley-on-Christ-as-god-of-god/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back