Gundry's commentaries cheap on Kindle. Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
On Amazon I have found that Robert Gundry's commentaries are quite cheap, $2.99 per. However, we know he denies imputation and thinks Matthew made up everything up while identifying as a conservative evangelical. Does anyone have experience using them? Are they worth it? Is @DMcFadden still around to comment?

Gundry posits that while much of Matthew's account is factually non-historical, it was still legitimate in that he was employing literary methods common and acceptable within his culture in order to convey truth. While I think there is some merit in realizing and understanding such less-than-literal methodologies in some particular instances, Gundry takes it way too far, and applies it in many unnecessary instances, thus creating many contradictory situations relative to other NT passages. Some of what he says is interesting, but in the end reading him is like trying to navigate a minefield. caveat lector

Last edited:
Maybe, although if you're looking for something strictly Reformed I'd think you'd want to take a pass.

Although I haven't looked at them, I see that these are from his 2 volume Commentary on the NT, which from what I understand is a fairly straightforward exposition that does not go off the rails the way his more academic commentaries do. I think I was controversy over his Matthew commentary that caused Gundry to withdraw from ETS. (The reviewer is dispensational but very conservative and not a fan of Gundry's other work.) But even at $2-$5, if you add them all up, they end up being more expensive than paying $39.99 for the whole NT unless you're just looking to buy a handful with studying particular books in mind. I don't know that Gundry is a 5 point Calvinist. I that what Paul Henebury probably means by "definitely Calvinistic" is that Gundry's views are broadly Calvinistic (on election and predestination, for example) rather than Arminian. But admittedly I really don't know.

If you really want to know, I'd recommend getting one of them and checking it out if you have a little time. I think you have 7 days to return a Kindle purchase for a refund. I don't know how long the sale is for or if it has anything to do with Prime Day. I had seen them previously but don't remember them being this cheap. (EDIT: I see that some of them are $1 cheaper than normal and that others are apparently always this cheap.)

Gundry skewered Christian Smith's book on Scripture in Christianity Today a number of years ago.

Other than the controversy over some of his commentaries, he is mainly known as a post-tribulationist who has written against pretribulationism. However, if I'm not mistaken, unlike a writer like George E. Ladd, Gundry still considers himself a dispensationalist because he makes a distinction between the church and Israel, although not as sharply as most pretribbers do.

Dennis is a Lutheran now and is ordained in the LCMS from what I understand. He hasn't logged in here in over 4 years. I don't think he'd have a high opinion of Gundry, although maybe he'd think a little better of him than some others of that generation that were associated with Fuller and Westmont. I think Gundry is from a fundamental Baptist background and maybe some of that still comes through from time to time, as with the Christian Smith review and his little book on John, in which he criticizes evangelical elites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back