Had to put our dog to sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth

Puritan Board Sophomore
Wow...that was difficult.

Anna was our nine year old German shepherd. She was such a great dog. We rescued her from a humane society when we moved out here to our country house.

She had some health issues as of late, and was in the vet this morning for a checkup. Everything seemed to be going along nicely. She was on a prednisone treatment.

Anyway, she got home, everything fine. She ate her evening meal and soon seemed not quite right. She started vomiting whitish foam, and seemed in distress.

We called the vet and met him at his office for an emergency consult. Poor Anna had the bloat. There was a possible surgery, but the vet thought that at her age,she might not survive it well and would have a long recovery if she made it through the operation. So, she is gone, and in no more pain or anxiety.

She was such a wonderful, loving girl. She had a very good life out here on the property, lots of room to run and play, no fear or danger. We were sitting on the porch in the sun just this afternoon, enjoying the wind in the trees.

Sad, sad dog-mom tonight. We still have our Fritzy. I wonder what he will make of his sister's absence. They were two peas in a pod. :(

Oh dear. I thought my waterworks were done, at least as far as the big weeping goes. Those vids were cathartic. Thanks for sharing.

This is no a 'bad' sorrow. We were so blessed to have this great creature in our lives for so long.

I'd like to think I'll see her again, or at least, that I will know her as part of the great creation, mended.

It's funny. My teenage daughter is handling it better than I am. I thought she'd be a basket-case, but she has handled it in a very good and mature fashion, comforting us all.

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

I am wondering about something. We will get another GSD, because we enjoy having the two, and they seem more content when they have a chum. We already have discussed this as Anna started slowing down. I wonder if it is a good thing to wait awhile, or jump back in soon? I guess I am asking from my living dog's standpoint. I am wondering if he will be more prone to accepting a new friend sooner rather than latter. Anyone have any thoughts?

She was Anna.

We're still a bit shell-shocked by the whole thing, happened so quickly.

And my husband started his new job today, with very little sleep. That's a tough first day, for certain. He carried everything through with a great deal of grace and strength. He said one of the hardest part was driving up and not seeing her run out to greet him. But we talked and shared with God our joy in knowing her for as long as we did, with tears and sad hearts, but looking at the blessing she was.

Amazing how our pets work their way into our hearts for keeps! I had to have my Holly dog, a little white schnauzer that was so precious and so attached me to, put to sleep when her seizures reached a constant and unrelieved state. I had no idea I would have such difficulty with that loss! I'm sorry you must deal with such a loss and pray you will find another perfect dog soon! I did that as well and it was such a help. It is so hard to not have a pet anymore as I had to return mine to the rescue lady when I no longer was able to provide the care it needed. It is so often in my thoughts still, after a year of parting.

So sorry for your loss. Our 11yo GSD, also a rescue dog, died two years ago this month. Her death left a large hole in our family and I'm not quite sure when we will get another dog, hopefully, another GSD, which has always been my dog of choice. Since you have a surviving dog it would probably be a good thing to get another soon so he can have a companion again.

Thanks Sue, for the kind thoughts. I really wasn't prepared to feel so sad after losing a pet. The tears have stopped, though, and it doesn't feel so odd to be here without Anna about the house.

We actually are exploring adopting another rescue GSD. We heard about a dog needing a home from our local shelter. He's a stunning 1 yr old. His story is a sad one. He was purchased($3000) for stud by a breeder, who was soon in the midst of a nasty divorce. Locked 'his' dogs in a windowless shed for months on end to keep his wife away from them. Threw in food and water now and then. Complaints were made and the animals were rescued.

This guy has made a good recovery over the past few months, and is ready to be adopted out. Our dog took to him right away, as did our daughter, so if tomorrow's visit goes well, we'll likely adopt him. We have the room and the time and resources to give him a good home, and he sure needs a break.

I know the pain and the sorrow ..I have had to do the same in the past. I am praying for you that The Lord will replace the pain with joy again.

This guy has made a good recovery over the past few months, and is ready to be adopted out. Our dog took to him right away, as did our daughter, so if tomorrow's visit goes well, we'll likely adopt him. We have the room and the time and resources to give him a good home, and he sure needs a break.

Oh, I do hope it goes well and that he will be a good fit for your family. I think it is horrible how some people treat animals, especially dogs who are such natural companions for humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back