Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
Link
Evangelicals seeing the error of 'replacement theology'
By DAVID HOROVITZ

Talkbacks for this article: 33

Dr. John Hagee, the American evangelical pastor who last month announced plans for a Christian-style AIPAC, says the organization is a "canopy group" encompassing Christian supporters of Israel from across America and is coming together "with a speed and harmony I never would have believed possible."

Hagee says he attempted something similar, though on a smaller scale, 25 years ago, but to no avail. "I called 30 pastors together... At the end of the first hour, I lost 29 of them." Now, by contrast, "I called 400 [pastors] and all 400 have agreed to participate in Christians United for Israel."

The San Antonio, Texas-based Hagee specifies three primary aims for the group: one, to unite Christian supporters of Israel to speak "with one voice for a common cause"; two, to establish a "rapid response" capability that can flood Capitol Hill with e-mails, faxes and phone calls at short notice on issues of concern to Israel; and three, to organize "Night to Honor Israel" events in every major US city "so that the Jewish people can see and feel Christians expressing the love of God to them without a hidden agenda."

The new initiative by Hagee, who has collected and distributed millions of dollars to Israeli causes over the past 25 years, raises questions about what precisely he means by "support for Israel" and whether there are conditions for that support. In an interview with The Jerusalem Post, he said "Christians United for Israel is completely loyal to the positions of the Bible" and that he does not seek to influence the Israeli government or to support political candidates in Israel or America. But that "loyalty" to the Bible, in his interpretation, for instance, means not backing the relinquishing of biblical territory.

It's an apparent contradiction that he reconciled as follows: "The Bible says that God gave the Jewish people this sacred land. 'It's yours. Don't give it away. If you choose to give it away, that's your business. We're still friends, although we feel you make the wrong choice. I wouldn't stop supporting Israel because of your choice.'"

Interviewed by the Post at the recent AIPAC national convention in Washington, DC, where he was warmly received by many delegates, Hagee also carefully explained his thinking on the incendiary issue of evangelical attitudes to Jews and Judaism.

In precise and deliberate language, flavored with a rich, deep Texas drawl, he asserted that a growing majority of evangelical leaders do not preach "replacement theology, which teaches that the Church has replaced Israel" and the Jews "have no future in the plan of God." The vast majority of evangelicals, rather, teach that "the Christians have a Bible mandate to be supportive of Israel and the Jewish people without a hidden agenda."

True to that interpretation, Hagee said, "I do not target Jews for conversion."

Nonetheless, he stressed, "If you come into my church [of your own volition], you are asking to hear my witness of Jesus Christ and you're going to get it, wide open."

In your conception, how should a Christian support Israel?

We began to actively support Israel 25 years ago when the American media responded hatefully toward Israel when the IDF blew up the nuclear reactor in Iraq. The media in America was extremely fierce against Israel, and I felt that Israel had done the world a great favor. I proposed to my congregation and the pastors of San Antonio that we gather all the Christians of our city and go down town to the city auditorium and have a "Night to Honor Israel" to show support for the nation of Israel and the Jewish people.
.............. continued
Link

Hidden agenda?So them baiting them all these years about loving Israel,God`s chosen people,etc. isn`t to win them to Christ?Oh yeah,I forgot,Mr. Haggee believes they are saved outside of Christ because of the Old Covenant.

UGH.....:barfy:

Originally posted by Average Joey
Hidden agenda?So them baiting them all these years about loving Israel,God`s chosen people,etc. isn`t to win them to Christ?Oh yeah,I forgot,Mr. Haggee believes they are saved outside of Christ because of the Old Covenant.

UGH.....:barfy:

Indeed. I find Mr. Haggee's work massively defective.

How in the world does he reconcile "I do not target Jews for conversion" with Scripture? Romans 10.1-13 is utterly meaningless if Israelites--or any other community, for that manner, is exempt from needing the gospel!

Indeed, why would Paul grieve over the state of Jews' need for salvation--to the point of willing to forfeit his own salvation if it could mean theirs--as we see in Romans 9.3? :mad:

:( that so many Christians fall for this ....

dl

[Edited on 3-24-2006 by Cuirassier]

Big brouhaha over this recently when a rabbi erroneously said Falwell believed this "dual covenant" theology too.

Originally posted by Cuirassier

How in the world does he reconcile "I do not target Jews for conversion" with Scripture? Romans 10.1-13 is utterly meaningless if Israelites--or any other community, for that manner, is exempt from needing the gospel!
In politics, substance and logic doesn't matter, only what is pratical towards achieving one's goal of power.

Haggee is the consumate politician, and he has been able to properly work the "Post 9/11 culture" towards his own ends. Fear of terrorism, anti muslim sentiments and the Israeli Palestinian issue were mixed into a good batch of apocalyptical expectations, with him being one of the few who saw it coming as predicted in his, "books".

He right now sits on top of the mountain in the Dispie world.

The only time I'm not offended is when he crushes feminists ;) But his overall goal of having the U.S.A ruled by Arminians/Dispensationalist Evangelicals is not my cup of tea. I'm afraid of both Talibans and Evangelibans.

It's sad...so, so sad....

Look at what someone at Rapture Ready posted regarding another view outside of his pretrib dispensational idea.

If preterism is true I renounce Christ right this second. If Preterism is true, God is a liar, who promises much but only delivers half the time. If Preterism is true, than the Book of Revelation doesn't mean jack ****, the promises of God of a world where every tear will be wiped away are just a lie. The promises that lions and lambs would live toghether and children would frolic with poisonious serphents without fear mean crap.

If Preterism is true, God and Satan ARE ONE IN THE SAME. For God would be a liar and a deceiver. :eek::pray2:

well Adam, we have to excuse that person on ignorance. what they said there, whilst noxious, is only a manifestation of how well the Dispensationalists did their jobs in indoctrinating their following. But alas eventhough the Word never errs, or God never errs, man do err, even Christians.

[Edited on 3-24-2006 by Slippery]

True, but it's an example as to why I am so passionately against dispensationalis now. I was almost that bad, but thank GOd was never pushed that far over the edge.

Originally posted by houseparent
True, but it's an example as to why I am so passionately against dispensationalis now. I was almost that bad, but thank GOd was never pushed that far over the edge.
if you think you were bad, you really haven't seen me. My brother is a 7th days, with a futuristic post trib philosophy.

I was debating my brother's false view of eschatology with my own false view of eschatology (Pre Trib). crazy stuff.

because of this, I'm somewhat tolerable towards Dispensationalists, but I have great anger against the leaders a la Lindsey and Co. even Todd of RR, that keeps promoting all the stuff, and have guilible people sucking it up, whilst the admin bans people of other views. its sickening.

ps. that being said I will complement RR, and I hope God blesses them in the area of their "Christian Struggle and Prayer Requests". When browsing that board I feel a sense of community and God's special care when I see Christians holding each other up in prayers etc.

I have loved ones on RR! SO I don't begrudge them. There is some total foolishness there as my original post here displays. Renouncing Christ if your eschatalogy is wrong!!!! Yikes!

Look at what someone at Rapture Ready posted regarding another view outside of his pretrib dispensational idea.

If preterism is true I renounce Christ right this second. If Preterism is true, God is a liar, who promises much but only delivers half the time. If Preterism is true, than the Book of Revelation doesn't mean jack ****, the promises of God of a world where every tear will be wiped away are just a lie. The promises that lions and lambs would live toghether and children would frolic with poisonious serphents without fear mean <b>[Censored]</b>.

If Preterism is true, God and Satan ARE ONE IN THE SAME. For God would be a liar and a deceiver. :eek::pray2:

Such arguments....feeling my system collapse...running toward idealism....

If preterism is true I renounce Christ right this second. If Preterism is true, God is a liar, who promises much but only delivers half the time. If Preterism is true, than the Book of Revelation doesn't mean jack ****, the promises of God of a world where every tear will be wiped away are just a lie. The promises that lions and lambs would live toghether and children would frolic with poisonious serphents without fear mean <b>[Censored]</b>.

I`m sure this person was banned for saying that right?;)

Originally posted by Slippery
Originally posted by Cuirassier

In politics, substance and logic doesn't matter, only what is pratical towards achieving one's goal of power.

Haggee is the consumate politician, and he has been able to properly work the "Post 9/11 culture" towards his own ends. Fear of terrorism, anti muslim sentiments and the Israeli Palestinian issue were mixed into a good batch of apocalyptical expectations, with him being one of the few who saw it coming as predicted in his, "books".

He right now sits on top of the mountain in the Dispie world.

The only time I'm not offended is when he crushes feminists ;) But his overall goal of having the U.S.A ruled by Arminians/Dispensationalist Evangelicals is not my cup of tea. I'm afraid of both Talibans and Evangelibans.

:up:

If he almost fools the very elect, then by Dispie reasoning, he could be...nah, couldn't be!:book2:

[Edited on 3-26-2006 by turmeric]

So which people group was Peter preaching to for conversion to Christ in Acts? Which was the main people group in the NT? C'mon Hagee!

Here's a completely unfounded conjecture ...cynical and conspiratorial in nature -based only upon my observation of the essentially greedy nature of many people.

Ok ...so Hagee says he has no evangelical motives towards Israel, etc. So, who's to say that he's not in the hip pocket of some Israeli politician's special interest to sway American policy in Israel's favor(?)...

That's not slander is it?

[Edited on 3-27-2006 by SmokingFlax]

Originally posted by SmokingFlax

Ok ...so Hagee says he has no evangelical motives towards Israel, etc. So, who's to say that he's not in the hip pocket of some Israeli politician's special interest to sway American policy in Israel's favor(?)...

That's not slander is it?

[Edited on 3-27-2006 by SmokingFlax]
:judge::judge: excellent hypothesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back