Halo 3 unveiled!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS3 will never have Halo. That game alone would be worth getting an Xbox. That and Oblivion which is way fun.

Originally posted by Augusta
PS3 will never have Halo. That game alone would be worth getting an Xbox. That and Oblivion which is way fun.
You have played right into Micro$oft's marketing hands! A few hundred dollars to play one good game? That's the only card MS' playing for their Xbox 360! PS3 will have a ton of good games (and plenty of Wolfenstein 3D clones, like Halo).

:candle:

Xbox and Xbox 360 not only has those premium games but almost everything PS3 has in addition. Developers WANT to make games for Xbox so as soon as they get out of any contracts with Sony they can and do make games for Xbox.

Don't let hate for Microsoft keep you from great gaming.

"Let go of the hate." :D

PS3 will be way better. I'll play Halo 3 on my best friend's 360.

PS3 has blu ray and a 60 gig hard drive.

and Final Fantasy!!!

I am genuinely curious - how do ya'll rationalise video games and shooters in particular into your santification experience?

I have an 11 and 8 year old and have self conciously limited their access to video games - and am struggling with it a bit, right now.

(sorry if this is a downer - might be a good seperate thread...)

-JD

Originally posted by Augusta
Xbox and Xbox 360 not only has those premium games but almost everything PS3 has in addition. Developers WANT to make games for Xbox so as soon as they get out of any contracts with Sony they can and do make games for Xbox.

Don't let hate for Microsoft keep you from great gaming.

"Let go of the hate." :D
Let me explain Microsoft's plans for you:

1. Market to achieve monopoly in the console-gaming world using whatever dirty business is required to do so
2. Ensure no competitor can rise to challenge the monopoly
3. Stop innovating and release horrible, buggy products; which if one is going to game you must use MS because of their monopoly

Sound familiar? :um:

:banana:

Let me explain Microsoft's plans for you:

1. Market to achieve monopoly in the console-gaming world using whatever dirty business is required to do so
2. Ensure no competitor can rise to challenge the monopoly
3. Stop innovating and release horrible, buggy products; which if one is going to game you must use MS because of their monopoly

Sound familiar? :um:

1. My hate for Microsoft is as great as any. Proof in my use of Linux. But my love for great videogaming covers a multitude of Gates sins. ;)

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
PS3 will be way better. I'll play Halo 3 on my best friend's 360.

PS3 has blu ray and a 60 gig hard drive.

and Final Fantasy!!!

If that is true, which remains to be seen, you will be spending $600.00 The stripped down PS3 is a 20gig HD and that one is $500.00 (no HDMI) like the 360's. Go here:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149470

I have owned all the PS's and Xbox's. So I am no Xbox fanboy.

Originally posted by mangum

1. My hate for Microsoft is as great as any. Proof in my use of Linux. But my love for great videogaming covers a multitude of Gates sins. ;)

Are you saying the sin of gates prevails? Or is it the gates of sin? Or. . . oh nevermind. :lol:

I haven't the slightest idea what all of you guys are talking about. The last video game I played was Asteroids in the Lounge Bar of Belgrade MT, circa 1984, if you ignore the computer chess I played a few years back.

Vic

600 dollars is INSANE and I am a BIG gamer. Even if you're crazy enough to think that's a good price, you MUST admit that the 5oo dollar machine is a total rip off. The stuff they took out of the 500 dollar model should make selling it a crime.

Stocker....now that\'s a game....

Originally posted by jdlongmire
I am genuinely curious - how do ya'll rationalise video games and shooters in particular into your santification experience?

I have an 11 and 8 year old and have self conciously limited their access to video games - and am struggling with it a bit, right now.

(sorry if this is a downer - might be a good seperate thread...)

-JD

Hey, I debate with myself about how much video gaming my son should do....but I love them myself on a limited basis. Like anything, they can be destructive, but, for the most part, even the violent games are no worse than cowboys and idians in my opinion...you def. have to monitor, I hate the senseless violence ones...and I think an hour a day is prob. too much, maybe 5 hours a week or something....my son plays prob. 3 hours a week if you include his GameBoy.

Halo is good clean soldiering fun. And, as my subject line tie in suggests....a quote from Color of Money, when Newman questions Cruise about pool, and he talks about his favorite video game, Stocker.

"Now Stocker....that's a game...a few years from now, I can use these skills to work for NASA."

Or something to that effect...I think a kid not somewhat fluent in video gaming could find himself out of touch with the technological world we're living in........not to mention the problem solving and eye-hand dexterity you develop. :)

I think there is a fine place for video games in our boy's lives.....:2cents:

[Edited on 5-10-2006 by tdowns007]

Famitsu Publisher Talks PS3 Game Pricing
August 30th, 2005 by Dan Posted in Playstation 3, PS3

At the CESA Developers Conference Hirokazu Hamamura, president of Enterbrain (publisher of Famitsu) talked about the price range of upcoming PS3 software. Much like Xbox and Xbox 360, he sees a significant price increase between PS2 and PS3. Hamamura-san forsees the cheapest PS3 software being at least $70 USD (EUR 57 / YEN 7,800) while the most expensive would be around $79 USD (EUR 65 / YEN 8,800). That will leave Canadian gamers paying $83-$94.

Perhaps Kutaragi was right and we should all just suck it up and get second jobs.

Props: Yasokiri (in Japan)

Update: This page is getting tons of hits right now, which is awesome. Thanks everyone! And by all means, please check out the rest of the site while you´re here. But to help my piddly server cope with traffic I´ve temporarily turned this page into static html which might cripple the comments section but it´s the best I can do.

Update 2: In reply to the 1up article stating that Japanese game prices are typically higher and that we shouldn´t be alarmed by this news, I would like point out the following. PS2 games in Japan currently have an average price of $58 - $62. When you compare that to the expected prices of PS3 games, you are looking at an $11 to $21 increase. Japan´s generally higher gamer prices acknowledged, a Japanese price increase of that magnitude will surely lead signifcantly higher game prices in North America and Europe as well.

Originally posted by victorbravo

Are you saying the sin of gates prevails? Or is it the gates of sin? Or. . . oh nevermind. :lol:

I haven't the slightest idea what all of you guys are talking about. The last video game I played was Asteroids in the Lounge Bar of Belgrade MT, circa 1984, if you ignore the computer chess I played a few years back.

Vic

"Gates" as in Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft and CEO of the Borg. ;)

Originally posted by houseparent
600 dollars is INSANE and I am a BIG gamer. Even if you're crazy enough to think that's a good price, you MUST admit that the 5oo dollar machine is a total rip off. The stuff they took out of the 500 dollar model should make selling it a crime.

:ditto:

Originally posted by houseparent
Update 2: In reply to the 1up article stating that Japanese game prices are typically higher and that we shouldn´t be alarmed by this news, I would like point out the following. PS2 games in Japan currently have an average price of $58 - $62. When you compare that to the expected prices of PS3 games, you are looking at an $11 to $21 increase. Japan´s generally higher gamer prices acknowledged, a Japanese price increase of that magnitude will surely lead signifcantly higher game prices in North America and Europe as well.

Now compare Sony's ridiculous pricing with Microsoft's. The Xbox 360 is moving toward a more market driven pricing scheme. For example, Rockstar's Table Tennis will be $39.99 and most others will be at the traditional $49.99 while the highly anticipated and sought after games won't rise above $59.99. And after a while, Xbox prices decrease while PlayStations stubbornly stay the same.

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
What I find odd is that Augusta plays video games:lol:

:lol: Most people could not see me playing Doom3 or Wolfenstein. I am a very prissy gal. It's actually all my Husbands fault. I used to tell him that Doom was satanic back in my evanjellyfish days. Now I know better of course but he got me playing Quake on PC with him and it was so fun. I don't like the really gross parts. If I were to spend way to much time on games and neglect any of my Godly vocations because of them, that would be sinful and wrong. I play about 3-4 hrs a week depending on how busy the week is. I don't play at all for a couple of week sometimes when life is hectic.

I actually really like platform games like Pirates, Munches Odyssey, Strangers Wrath, Indiana Jones, and Lara Croft when playing by myself. I like FPSs when I play multiplayer. I am currently playing Oblivion which is great fun and Lara Croft for 360. In Lara Croft you get to unlock her mansion so pretty soon I can put some clothes on her. :um: :lol:

Man guys I was looking forward to the PS3 too and so were several people I know.Now we are not going to buy one because of that price.It makes the XBOX 360 look cheap.After seeing all the stuff that happened on the E3 show I am now more looking forward to the Nintendo Wii.The controller is so inovative there are so many possibilities.Let`s hope it is marketed well and many developers are interested in their options(which so far is the case).Oh,and most likely it will sell for under 250 bucks.

Hey,I`m not saying the PS3 will be bad.I think it will be the best in terms of how many games will be available and graphics.But is there any difference between how fun the PS2 games are compared to the PS3?Face it we are paying 600 dollars for a graphics boost.I like my PS2 just fine and I hope Sony continues pushing games out for at least another two years.After that I will consider buying a PS3 when it gets down to a reasonable 300 dollars(which it will).I think Sony`s sells are not going to be up to par with what they are hoping.Sure the name alone has value and will push sells.But,if they would have sat back and found ways to make cheaper hardware and not lose the quality of it they could have brought it out a lot cheaper.Consider one of the most expensive things about the PS3 is High Definition.It looks great but people who have HD TV have already paid 1500 for just a 32 inch tv.That`s gonna hurt.The people who will buy the PS3 will be the 16-22 age range.They are old enough for a job and more often living with parents so they can afford it.Parents won`t buy it for their children.Adults who have enough bills will not buy it for themselves.A friend of mine(who makes a lot of money)even tells me he wouldn`t even put it in layaway.

[Edited on 5-12-2006 by Average Joey]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,195206,00.html

Nintendo Chief: We're Going After Non-Gamers With Wii
Thursday, May 11, 2006

LOS ANGELES "” The latest round in the video game console wars appears to be a race among Sony Corp. (SNE), Nintendo Co. and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) for the flashiest, most powerful system. But that's not how Nintendo President Satoru Iwata sees it.

While Microsoft and Sony have wooed gamers with speedy processors and high-definition graphics on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Iwata said Nintendo's Wii console is trying to address a more pressing concern: luring more nongamers into the fold.

"The approach to make more gorgeous-looking graphics ... to have the horsepower, to have much faster processing "” they don't do anything to ask nongamers to play with a video game," Iwata said through a translator in an interview with The Associated Press.

Ever since the Wii console was announced last year under the codename Revolution, company officials have pushed the system's nonconformist ways and declined to talk much about any high-tech specs.

And while Microsoft and Sony have divulged pricing and availability details, Nintendo has yet to say anything about cost or set an exact launch date, except that it will be available sometime in the fourth quarter of this year.

At the center of the company's vision is the Wii's TV-remote style input device, which can be swung around to mimic a baseball bat or pulled back and aimed like a bow and arrow. A palm-sized attachment, which plugs into the end of the controller, adds two-handed capabilities for games like "Super Mario Galaxy."

Iwata said traditional video game controllers, bristling with buttons and triggers, have intimidated nongamers. He said he believes the Wii could break down the barriers between avid gamers and newcomers.

"We thought if we could make this type of TV-remote, these nongamers would play also," Iwata said. "We are hopeful this kind of approach can expand the gaming population. What we have come up with has turned out to be something really different from what other game companies have come up with."

Though the Wii will play traditional DVDs with an add-on accessory, it lacks features like Blu-ray or HD-DVD drives for high-definition movies or startlingly realistic graphics.

Still, the Wii has been a huge draw at this week's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.

As the show opened each morning, a stampede of attendees sprinted to Nintendo's booth to get first dibs on Wii games such as the off-road racer "Excite Truck" and "Wii Sports."

In "Wii Sports," players were on their feet and swinging their arms wildly in virtual tennis courts and baseball stadiums. Other games have people conducting an orchestra or casting a fishing line.

"Nintendo's mission is to try to make people happy, to try to make people smile," Iwata said.

This happiness extends beyond fans to business adversaries like Microsoft Vice President Peter Moore.

"I'm a huge fan on Nintendo and I love the innovation," Moore said of the Wii controller. "I'm sure it's going to be fun in a lot of games."

As for the name Wii (pronounced "We"), Iwata said:

"We wanted people to remember the name as soon as they heard it," he said. "When people become so accustomed to the Wii name, nobody is going to say it's a strange name, just like nobody is going to say that Google is a strange name, or Ikea is a strange name today."

Originally posted by Average Joey
Man guys I was looking forward to the PS3 too and so were several people I know.Now we are not going to buy one because of that price.It makes the XBOX 360 look cheap.
Hmm. I guess I don't understand your reasoning. The two machines aren't comparable. The PS3 has far superior hardware . . .

xBox 360 = $400 low bundle; $500 high bundle (though Amazon's price is actually $563 right now).

PS3 = $499 low model; $599 high model.

Seems like the prices aren't that different at all--especially considering that the PS3 isn't just a simple "update" to the PS2, like the xBox 360 is compared to the xBox. And since Sony is going to release so many more on the release date, you won't have to buy your PS3 for $1,000 off eBay.

Originally posted by StaunchPresbyterian
Originally posted by Average Joey
Man guys I was looking forward to the PS3 too and so were several people I know.Now we are not going to buy one because of that price.It makes the XBOX 360 look cheap.
Hmm. I guess I don't understand your reasoning. The two machines aren't comparable. The PS3 has far superior hardware . . .

xBox 360 = $400 low bundle; $500 high bundle (though Amazon's price is actually $563 right now).

PS3 = $499 low model; $599 high model.

Seems like the prices aren't that different at all--especially considering that the PS3 isn't just a simple "update" to the PS2, like the xBox 360 is compared to the xBox. And since Sony is going to release so many more on the release date, you won't have to buy your PS3 for $1,000 off eBay.

Xbox360 is the only new system available at the moment though.The price they set is a little more understanding(no competition).Let me add that I did not get an XBOX 360 because of the price.If Microsoft is smart they would have a price drop this Christmas season to compete with PS3 and Wii.I don`t think Halo 3 will have as much impact without a pricedrop.

As far as PS3 being a simple update.I didn`t say "simple" update but an update nevertheless.Other then graphics,and other technical stuff there is not much difference when it comes to gameplay.Graphics are the big thing that is pushed.During launch of the PS3 I`ll be sitting at home playing my PS2 and Gamecube.Still considering the Wii.Especially after being so impressed by it at E3.If it is over 250 dollars my mind will be changed.

Originally posted by victorbravo

Vic

Well, I'm a bit ahead of you. MarioKart is my game of choice. Good, clean cartoon violence. :D

The Ps3 will be superior but your paying extra for a pre installed blu ray player which will be the format for ps3 games.

The 360 will cost the same as a ps3 if you buy the upcoming add on HD-DVD player. Which will be a waste since blu ray has more support.

Plus the PS3 is backwards compatible with 2 and 1 and there is no region coding. Up to 7 players on wireless controllers and one maching to connect to dual 1080p tvs.

blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back