Handel's Messiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
The first public performance of George Frederick Handel's oratorio Messiah was on March 23, 1743. It is noteworthy because it was attended by King George II who stood during the singing of the Hallelujah chorus thus beginning a tradition that continues to the present day.

THE best oratorio, bar none.

I've known this for soooo long.

I can sing every tenor and bass line, every solo aria, and I can quote word for word every scripture used in this. I know EVERYTHING about this piece.

Listen to it before you die!

:sing:

Originally posted by Authorised
I can sing every tenor and bass line, every solo aria, and I can quote word for word every scripture used in this. I know EVERYTHING about this piece.:sing:

:eek: thats impressive!

I preformed the Hallelujah chorus in highschool chorus class:(

A bit of commentary revealing Handel was Reformed and was, in a sense, the first writer of a "tract" and used his art to proclaim the Gospel:

Robert Manson Myers wrote that, in the case of Messiah, "for the first time in musical history the mighty drama of human redemption was treated as an epic poem." Music historian R.A. Streatfield cited Messiah as "the first instance in the history of music of an attempt to view the mighty drama of human redemption from an artistic viewpoint." While narrative only in a general sense, the libretto prepared for Handel by Charles Jennens and taken from both the Old and New Testaments considers the whole of human experience - hope and fulfillment, suffering and death, resurrection and redemption."

Anyone ever thought about using a CD of "Messiah" as a tract?

Hmmm....:detective:

R.

[Edited on 3-23-2005 by Robin]

Originally posted by Robin
A bit of commentary revealing Handel was Reformed and was, in a sense, the first writer of a "tract" and used his art to proclaim the Gospel:

Robert Manson Myers wrote that, in the case of Messiah, "for the first time in musical history the mighty drama of human redemption was treated as an epic poem."

Much better, in my opinion, than Milton's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back