Has anyone on here read or attempted Caryl's 12 volumes on Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Has anyone on here read or attempted Caryl's 12 volumes on Job? What are your thoughts? I am considering reading it this year for my devotional reading. I have previously read bits and pieces here and there. Everything that I have read has been golden.
As a side note, we are down to 50 sets of these. I don't imagine it being republished. I could be wrong though.
For those unaware of what I am talking about, there is a link below.
http://bit.ly/CarylonJob

Yes I read all 12 volumes while preaching through Job. It took me 3 years to preach the whole book and during that time I read all of Caryl. It is WELL worth it! He quickly rose to become one of my favorite Puritan commentators. At some point I want to go through it all again because it is just that good and cannot be exhausted in one read through. I highly recommend it. And hey, start now and you can read one volume a month and get through it in a year! What a great resolution (although December might be a brutal month with volume 12 exceeding a thousand pages!!) ;)

I had an original set of these at one point for many years and had the reprint but sold it as well. I sort of always fancied getting the folio edition in 2 vols. Since it was published after his death I'm not sure if the folio is the better edition (ie author corrections or changes) or not; but it is certainly impressive in 2 vary large folios.

Yes I read all 12 volumes while preaching through Job. It took me 3 years to preach the whole book and during that time I read all of Caryl. It is WELL worth it! He quickly rose to become one of my favorite Puritan commentators. At some point I want to go through it all again because it is just that good and cannot be exhausted in one read through. I highly recommend it. And hey, start now and you can read one volume a month and get through it in a year! What a great resolution
Thanks, brother. I appreciate your thoughts. Everything that I have read from Caryl has been most edifying.
My goal for the year is to read one volume a month along with as much as I can in Thomas Boston's works. Reviewing books for work often throws monkey wrenches into my reading schedule. I am not complaining as I am very blessed to have such a problem.
I am hoping to go for my ThM at PRTS next year followed by my Ph.D. Caryl on Job is a contender on whom I would focus on for my dissertation. I am hoping to do some work for print from Caryl this year as well.

Yes I read all 12 volumes while preaching through Job. It took me 3 years to preach the whole book and during that time I read all of Caryl. It is WELL worth it! He quickly rose to become one of my favorite Puritan commentators. At some point I want to go through it all again because it is just that good and cannot be exhausted in one read through. I highly recommend it. And hey, start now and you can read one volume a month and get through it in a year! What a great resolution (although December might be a brutal month with volume 12 exceeding a thousand pages!!) ;)

I came across this quote from Caryl that you posted. It is truly a beautiful reminder of Christ's love for His Church.

Joseph Caryl on Job 2.7-8

I had an original set of these at one point for many years and had the reprint but sold it as well. I sort of always fancied getting the folio edition in 2 vols. Since it was published after his death I'm not sure if the folio is the better edition (ie author corrections or changes) or not; but it is certainly impressive in 2 vary large folios.

That is impressive indeed to house these volumes in two folios. I would love to get my hands on a set.

My pastor is often up late reading his practical expositions and applications from Job, has the whole set and loves it, especially how old his printing typesetting is.

My pastor is often up late reading his practical expositions and applications from Job, has the whole set and loves it, especially how old his printing typesetting is.
I am glad to hear it! The old typesetting does not bother me at all. I suppose once you have read so much of it, it becomes second nature. The tedious thing in these particular volumes are the spots blotting out words, and the marginal notes can be hard to read.

What a great resolution (although December might be a brutal month with volume 12 exceeding a thousand pages!!)

I look at it sort of like hiking a mountain. It is a steady hike up until the final stretch. The peak is always slow-moving and the most grueling. Once at the top, it makes it all worthwhile.

Has anyone on here read or attempted Caryl's 12 volumes on Job? What are your thoughts? I am considering reading it this year for my devotional reading. I have previously read bits and pieces here and there. Everything that I have read has been golden.
As a side note, we are down to 50 sets of these. I don't imagine it being republished. I could be wrong though.
For those unaware of what I am talking about, there is a link below.
http://bit.ly/CarylonJob

How many sets did you have originally?

I've had the set sitting on my shelf since I bought it in October, 2001. I've long been "getting around" to reading it. Now, thanks to this thread, I just might finally get it in gear and read the set!

I believe it was around 550.

So, since 2001, RHB has averaged about 30 sets a year in sales. For a set that huge, that's not bad in terms of sales. And, now that it's half off, maybe that'll be an encouragement for some folks (I don't remember what I paid for it at the time).

Given that last year, I read the seven volumes of John Owen on Hebrews, not to mention James Durham and John Davenant's massive commentaries on Revelation and Colossians, perhaps the twelve volumes of Joseph Caryl on Job is not unrealistic. I am currently making my way through the works of Thomas Brooks (three volumes left to read) and am also hoping to read the works of Stephen Charnock and John Newton (having read one volume of each). Then again, given both my circumstances and the suitability of Job to such, perhaps it is the ideal time to read them.

Thanks for starting this thread, Robert, as I will give reading Caryl serious consideration.

I should add that if I do read it, I will be reading it online. Sorry, but I just do not have the room for twelve more volumes at present.

I respect that. My wife and I temporarily downsized to a one-bedroom apartment while waiting for our home to sell. This place is swallowed up in books. My wife is developing the patience of Job dealing with books on every available surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back