Has God ever shown you this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
"But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound." Romans 5:20

In order to know what grace is in its reign over sin, and in its super-aboundings over the aboundings of iniquity, we must be led experimentally into the depths of the fall. We must be led by God himself into the secrets of our own heart; we must be brought down into distress of mind on account of our sin and the idolatry of our fallen nature. And when, do what we will, sin will still work, reign, and abound, and we are brought to soul poverty, helplessness, destitution, and misery, and cast ourselves down at the footstool of his mercy--then we begin to see and feel the reign of grace, in quickening our souls, in delivering us from the wrath to come, and in preserving us from the dominion of evil. We begin to see then that grace superabounds over all the aboundings of sin in our evil hearts, and as it flows through the channel of the Savior's sufferings, that it will never leave its favored objects until it brings them into the enjoyment of eternal life! And if this does not melt and move the soul, and make a man praise and bless God, nothing will, nothing can!

But until we have entered into the depths of our own iniquities, until we are led into the chambers of imagery, and brought to sigh, groan, grieve, and cry under the burden of guilt on the conscience and the workings of secret sin in the heart--it cannot be really known. And to learn it thus, is a very different thing from learning it from books, or ministers. To learn it in the depths of a troubled heart, by God's own teaching, is a very different thing from learning it from the words of a minister or even from the word of God itself. We can never know these things savingly and effectually, until God himself is pleased to apply them with his own blessed power, and communicate an unctuous savor of them to our hearts, that we may know the truth, and find to our soul's consolation, that the truth makes us free!

J.C. PHILPOT 1802-1869

A brother of mine mentioned this verse to me during one of my many struggles but he decided to sugarcoat my sins by saying I shouldn`t be ashamed because of the fact I was saved.At the time I agreed with him but now I see he was very wrong.Conviction of sin is what leads to repentance.How can repentance come except through conviction of sin?Where sin abounded grace did much more abound.Conviction and mercy by His grace.Thanks James for this post.

This is a painfull thing to come to grips with. I thank God for his mercy. I live in a continual state of repentance. The closer my heart comes to Christ, the more my wickedness is revealed.

Said the prince of preachers CH Spurgeon, "There are some professing Christians who can speak of themselves in terms of admiration; but, from my inmost heart, I loathe such speeches more and more every day that I live. Those who talk in such a boastful fashion must be constituted very differently from me. While they are congratulating themselves, I have to lie humbly at the foot of Christ's Cross, and marvel that I am saved at all, for I know that I am saved. I have to wonder that I do not believe Christ more, and equally wonder that I am privileged to believe in Him at all-to wonder that I do not love Him more, and equally to wonder that I love Him at all-to wonder that I am not holier, and equally to wonder that I have any desire to be holy at all considering what a polluted debased, depraved nature I find still within my soul, notwithstanding all that divine grace has done in me. If God were ever to allow the fountains of the great deeps of depravity to break up in the best man that lives, he would make as bad a devil as the devil himself is. I care nothing for what these boasters say concerning their own perfections; I feel sure that they do not know themselves, or they could not talk as they often do. There is tinder enough in the saint who is nearest to heaven to kindle another hell if God should but permit a spark to fall upon it. In the very best of men there is an infernal and well-nigh infinite depth of depravity. Some Christians never seem to find this out. I almost wish that they might not do so, for it is a painful discovery for anyone to make; but it has the beneficial effect of making us cease from trusting in ourselves, and causing us to glory only in the Lord."

Fear of the Lord is a gift and means of covenant and of grace.

Jer. 32:39 I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them. 40 I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me.

What a wonderful gift it is to fear the Lord, it is a means of overcoming sin and abiding in his grace.

Piper describes this fear as what you might feel as you stand on a ledge, thousands of feet above the ground. You begin to fall backward and there is no hope of catching yourself and avoiding death. Suddenly a hand pulls you back and into the safety of an interior room. You stand there trembling with fear. Why? You are safe now. Ah, but you realize how close you came to death. You tremble in fear of what might have been and in gratitude to the one who saved you.

Fear and gratitude are the powerful means of overcoming besetting sins.

Matt. 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Gill calls it a filial fear as opposed to the fear of a slave.

^
Agreed

The older I get, and the more the Lord grows me, the more I crave depth. I charish the times I am awakened at night and think on my past, where He has brought me, where I could be...and ALL due to Him.

How blessed we are to even be brought to this kind of knowledge! I often pray for more capacity and better language to to express my gratitude. I am so often blessed by those in this forum who know and express these ideas were my ability is so lacking!

Your sins, and errors, and follies

(William S. Plumer, "The Rock of Our Salvation" 1867)

Jesus knows your sins, and errors, and follies--but
He still loves you tenderly! Your weakness affords Him
a welcome opportunity to show pity. There are heights,
and depths, and lengths, and breadths of mercy in Christ
--beyond all human necessities, miseries, and sins!
He has helped myriads to glory--who were as weak, as
unworthy, as desponding as any of us! His mercies are . . .
shoreless,
fathomless,
eternal,
unchangeable!

Some humble child of God may say, "I have made but
poor progress. I have sore troubles, "fears within, and
fightings without." Let such remember, that whatever
makes us humble is good for us. Humility is the most
lovely of graces. Without it, there is no real progress
heavenward. It is a precious token of God's regard to
us, that He so deals with us, as to . . .
destroy our carnal security,
mortify our pride,
make us loathe and abhor ourselves,
and yet gives us a relish for spiritual enjoyments,
and leads us to seek them above all other things.

He is a growing Christian, to whom Christ is more and
more precious. As our estimate of Christ rises--our
estimate of ourselves necessarily becomes lower. To
believers, Christ is everything. He is all their salvation.

If we are guilty, He has atoned.

If we are vile, He is worthy.

If we are nothing, He is all in all.

To be in Christ is heaven begun! To be with
Christ and like Christ is heaven completed!

He . . .
to whom Christ is precious,
to whom the word of God is sweeter than honey,
to whom sin is odious,
to whom secret devotion is a delight,
who strives to honor his Master in his life,
who regards the world as a broken idol
--has passed from death unto life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back