Have you been in a cult before you got converterted by the Gospel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Did you ever see the Far Side cartoon that showed a lizard sitting on a rock with another lizard commenting: (along the lines of) "I was Shirley Mac Clain in a prevous life" ?

:lol:

I love Far Side.

I was a big Edgar Cayce follower too. But I began to notice a pattern develop in reading his accounts of past lives recalled. For a donation, Cayce would do sleeping trances. The persons of past lives were usually famous historical people who were rich and powerful and often victimized by backward, unloving Christians.

First post :pilgrim:

Read my bio. Raised in a Catholic family, then agnostic, and then embraced Islam. I was a practicing Muslim for 3 years before hearing the Gospel, which at first I thought was disgusting. Over time, the Holiness of God was impressed upon me by the brother sharing the Gospel with me and I saw how unholy Allah is.

I've been a Chrisitan for a year now. Praise God!

Originally posted by andeez2

Read my bio. Raised in a Catholic family, then agnostic, and then embraced Islam. I was a practicing Muslim for 3 years before hearing the Gospel, which at first I thought was disgusting. Over time, the Holiness of God was impressed upon me by the brother sharing the Gospel with me and I saw how unholy Allah is.

Welcome to the Board, and to the family! You're in for a wild ride!

Welcome to the board! I was very glad to hear your testimony.

I was in the cult of selfishness. Hard one to get out of, but God is doing a good job working on me.

I was a wiccan for many years and belonged to a Gardinarian/Alexandrian coven (I just gave my testimony about this at Church a couple of Sundays ago, Yikes!!!). When I made the exodus out I was detoured by the Mormons for awhile. When God finally saved me I was involved in a Charismatic church but I didn't fully embrace it because of my past occult activity. I become Reformed while attending an Assemblies of God University. Here I thought I was the only Presbyterian or Reformed Christian for that matter with such an ecclectic background. All your comments have been very encouraging.

[Edited on 3-16-2006 by RTSbound]

Was once involved in the Armstrong Cult. Got hooked when I was a teen new to the faith. Up until I was 13, I thought Jesus Christ was just a cuss word my dad used when angry. I never understood He was a real person.
Years later after watching the John Ankerberg show when he had Dr. Walter Martin on his show exposing the false teachings of the top 10 cults in the U.S I was upset to learn my favorite teacher Herbert W. Armstrong on the list. Needless to say I wrote Ankerberg an angry letter and he sent me info about this false prophet and God in mercy used it to open my eyes.
Now fast forward some years later and still looking for a church I get involved in the Assemblies of God denomination and stay with them for about four years. But seeing their blatant hypocrisy and deceit that went on there I left and went on searching. I did start going to a small baptist church but never really felt that was where I needed to be so left them and joined a Charismatic tongue talking Spirit filled church. It was from the pastor there who shared with me the book by A.W. Pink, the Sovereignty of God and the Lord really opened my eyes then. After that I met a co-worker who was a member of a new PCA church in the town I lived in. I strted going there and became a member after a year there and learned more of the doctrine of Grace and God's Sovereignty.
It has been a long road getting to where I am now and I am still learning. God has been merciful to me and I am so thankful to Him for what He has saved me from and how He has preserved me into His Kingdom.

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
This is difficult, and embarrassing even to this day to admit ...but shortly after I was converted I fell under the influence of Brother Stair (from Walterboro S.Carolina) the self proclaimed "Last Day Prophet of God."

I wasn't "in" a cult but I can't deny that his radio broadcasts adversely affected me. I simply couldn't, at the time, refute what he was saying...I just didn't have the tools and/or knowledge at that point -and I believe that it cost me in different ways.

Honestly, I am ashamed and sometimes wonder if his teaching doesn't still affect me.

I used to listen to him on the shortwave years ago. I thought he was the real thing. lol
I once thought about moving to S.C to join his commune. Thank God I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back