Have you been in a cult before you got converterted by the Gospel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rev. Jerrold Lewis and Diane, doctrinally I like the RPNA as they are the only church to officially hold to Cameronian political beliefs but would be unwilling to join a church hundreds of miles away with only one minister. I was wondering, how do you think our situation has changed from what it was for the Society People before they had ministers or do you feel they were wrong for not joining the Settlement Church?

I am not sure what you are asking. I admire 99% of what the RPNA is doing and I experinced genuine felloship with them, but I have a problem with anyone insisting that they are the only true church. They have been called by people on the PB as schismatics.
As for the covenanters there is no one that I admire more and they are one of the reasons that I recently joined the RPCNA. Yes I think that the Covenanters were right to not to join the settlement church but that does not mean that those who did join the settlement church were heretics/schismatics, not true Christians. Many people joined the settlement church because it was the best they could hope for under the circumstances i.e. Scotland had been wars, Cromwell, who was no friend to Presbyterianism, and the horrendous "killing times."

Originally posted by Shane
I was born and raised Catholic converted when I was 31.

In that case I'd best come clean. I was ORDAINED Roman before being converted.

(Well, before that I also dabbled in Zen, Taoism, Alan Watts kind of stuff. Oh yeah, I was briefly a member of AMORC. But nothing came close to the papists.)

I grew up in the RLDS church or the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Dabbled in new age/eastern mystic stuff. I was also a Free Mason for a couple of years.

It's almost to horrible to talk about, but I guess this is the place. I used to be an Infralapsarian.

[size=-1]edit: sig didn't show up, turned it on[/size]

[Edited on 11-10-2005 by Mike]

Originally posted by Mike
It's almost to horrible to talk about, but I guess this is the place. I used to be an Infralapsarian.

:lol:

Originally posted by Mike

This statement really belittles the intent of this thread (but it sure made my day!). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Calvary Chapel

Is Calvary Chapel a cult ?

I was (when i lived 9 months in the US) a student at Calvary Chapel Bible College Murietta Hotsprings, and even though theyt are arminian and dispensationlist, i did not experience them as a cult. In their libary it was the first time that i started to read John Owen & Jonathan Edwards. Again i know they are arminian but being a cult ??????????

For a short time I attended a local congregation of the Boston movement Church of Christ. At the time I never heard of them before. As I continued to attend their "studies", I became more and more aware that something wasn't quite right with their theology. And this at the time that I was steeped in Arminianism and Dispensationalism.

[Edited on 12-4-2005 by Greg]

Originally posted by Greg
For a short time I attended a local congregation of the Boston movement Church of Christ. At the time I never heard of them before. As I continued to attend their "studies", I became more and more aware that something wasn't quite right with their theology. And this at the time that I was steeped in Arminianism and Dispensationalism.

[Edited on 12-4-2005 by Greg]

OH Good someone else too. I attended an anti coc with my hubby (left a PCA church with some problems that needed help....) and am now in the OPC. The COC is weird no mater what branch, Boston, anti or liberal one is dealing with.

Originally posted by CalsFarmer
OH Good someone else too. I attended an anti coc with my hubby (left a PCA church with some problems that needed help....) and am now in the OPC. The COC is weird no mater what branch, Boston, anti or liberal one is dealing with.
I'll never forget the one Boston COC I spoke with at work years ago. We were talking about baptism, so I mentioned the thief on the cross who didn't have the opportunity to get baptized. His response was "But who's to say that he didn't get down from the cross, get baptized, and then get back on again. The Bible doesn't say". He was serious. Wow.

I practiced full-contact origami!!!

No.....

but I was a Master Freemason ("...may my throat be cut ear to ear...my body washed in the rough sands of the sea, where the tide ebbs and flows twice in 24 hours should I knowingly or willingly violate this my solemn obligation as a Master Mason....")

Originally posted by trevorjohnson
I practiced full-contact origami!!!

No.....

but I was a Master Freemason ("...may my throat be cut ear to ear...my body washed in the rough sands of the sea, where the tide ebbs and flows twice in 24 hours should I knowingly or willingly violate this my solemn obligation as a Master Mason....")

Is a Master Mason the same as a 33rd degree mason?

Also, do the higher up types participate in satanic rituals?

3rd degree masonis Master,then you can go up to the York or Scottish Rite to get your 32,33rd degree.

Th Shriners actually kiss the Koran (but they do support a lot of hospitals).

The have their...
own name for God - The Great Architect of the Universe,
own prayers,
blood oaths,
rituals,
and a symbology of dying and being rasied back to life...

Does having your own cult count?? As a teenager I formed my own group complete with various doctrines about God and Christ. Having grown up in christian circles (Pentecostal, unfortanately), and having memorized much scripture as a child, I used that knowledge to my advantage in convincing a few people of some very twisted things.

I thank God he didnt just fry me on the spot for my haughty and blasphemous spirit.

Mike

Being a cult leader is even better than being a Rockstar...all the power and women you could imagine. Notice how these two factors (power and sex) play a role in most cults. All false religions rely upon the strength of depravity to promote it. True religion says take up your cross.

Before I got saved, I was a self-styled disciple of .....I hate to say it... SHIRLEY MACLAINE....."Out on a limb"

When I started believing in Christ exclusively I landed in an independent pentecostal pacifistic quasi oneness leftover from the Jesus Movement. After all that ironically he actually preached a gratia infusia Roman Catholic justification. In a sermon we were told that some other preacher had asked him if he was one of the 'two witnesses', he told us .....no.

At least it wasn't dispensational!

Originally posted by non dignus
Before I got saved, I was a self-styled disciple of .....I hate to say it... SHIRLEY MACLAINE....."Out on a limb"

When I started believing in Christ exclusively I landed in an independent pentecostal pacifistic quasi oneness leftover from the Jesus Movement. After all that ironically he actually preached a gratia infusia Roman Catholic justification. In a sermon we were told that some other preacher had asked him if he was one of the 'two witnesses', he told us .....no.

At least it wasn't dispensational!

Did you ever see the Far Side cartoon that showed a lizard sitting on a rock with another lizard commenting: (along the lines of) "I was Shirley Maclain in a prevous life".

I was (thankfully as you will see in a minute) put on an IFB bus every Sunday. My stepfather was an errant Nazerene...and my mother holds a mix of of christianity, Indian mysticism, gypsy superstition, "saved by the light", etc mixture. Her best friend was B'hai (that's how I got named Jamal...now ya'll know what the J is for in my signature).

I was a solipsist, but it cut down on my fellowship opportunities.

I then tried to convince myself of Skepticism, but I just couldn't believe it!

Well, I certainly do not consider myself to have been raised in a "cult" at all, but the Assemblies of God is just about as close as you can get in the "legitimate" evangelical sphere without approaching such!

Originally posted by turmeric
What's an IFB?

Originally posted by Pilgrim
IFB=Independent Fundamental Baptist

Quote:

"I then tried to convince myself of Skepticism, but I just couldn't believe it!"

That's a good one Trevor...I think I'm gonna have to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back