Have you seen this review of The Passion of The Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memoirsc

Inactive User
Here is the link to the article: http://www.providencepca.com/essays/passion.html

After reading about so many Evangicals endorsing it, I was surprised to read this. However, I am concerned about this jounalist condemning a film he hasn't even seen.

I would love to read the perspective of any who have seen it. I know many churches are going to early screenings tonight.

In my humble opinion it is the best and most helpful review going. Banner of Truth have published it on their website here in the UK as well.

There is nothing wrong with commenting on something which you refuse to see. I will refuse to see it too - I don't want the image of some actor in my mind when I am sitting at the Lord's table! We forget all too easily that in the greatest moments of our Lord's torment:

'Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut his glories in
When Christ, the mighty Maker, died
For man, the creature's sin'

In those hours of darkness what he suffered is beyond comprehension. No-one saw what happened in those hours, yet they are crucial. Any depiction of what happened at Calvary is always a trivialisation. We may show the human pain in all its extremity and severity, but we can never show anything beyond it. People may weep to see the film and sympathise with the man Jesus. They will never see the God-man, the Saviour Jesus Christ.

The movie distorts the Bible. So if we know the Bible why do we need to see the movie to identify what is wrong with it? Has there not been enough from Mel Gibson and the actors to point out the serious errors that are present?

Saying that a person who has not seen the movie cannot criticize it is like saying that a man cannot denounce a prostitute without having first slept with her........

You do not have to participate in the sin to show that it is sin!

Phillip

[quote:4fe9b99a93] I don't want the image of some actor in my mind when I am sitting at the Lord's table! [/quote:4fe9b99a93]

Alot of people just don't get this part do they? How prone our minds are to idols, and how willing we are to fill our heads with them....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back