Have Your Ever Worshipped God Rightly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Burroughs....

Leviticus 10:3, “I will be sanctified in them that draw near to me.”

This should make all Christians weep uncontrollably in utter humility:

"Thirdly, here is a use of humiliation to us all, even to the best of us. O how little, how little have the best of us all sanctified the Name of God! How far have we all come short of sanctifying God’s Name in holy duties! And when we look abroad in the world, and see what poor service God generally has from the men and women of the earth, it should make our hearts bleed within us...Many may have cause to lay their hands on their hearts, and say, certainly I have come short of what is required here, and have not been acquainted with this way, this mystery of godliness, of sanctifying God’s Name in holy duties as I ought to be. O, be humbled for all the uncleanness of your hearts in the performance of holy duties...

There are many godly people that through God’s mercy, are able to keep from gross sins. They do not find it any great matter to keep from bad company, swearing, drinking, uncleanness, lying, or wronging of others, and other such sins. They do not need humiliation in this regard, unless their natures are as corrupt as any, though they do not break forth into those actual gross sins. But the main humiliating work of those that are godly is to be humbled for their thoughts, for mispending time, and for not sanctifying God’s Name in holy duties...

Let us be humbled for our best performance that we ever performed in our lives. The best people with the best duties have a need to be humbled. But then as for others that have made little or no conscious effort of sanctifying God’s Name, how do they need to be humbled? You have something more to repent of than you thought; for the truth is, those that have not made a conscious effort of sanctifying God’s Name in holy duties, never, in all their lives, did any service for the honor of God. You have lived perhaps thirty or forty years; it may be sixty years or more; and you never yet honored God in any one thing that you ever did in all your life. You will say, God forbid. Have I not prayed, and heard the word much, and received communion often, and yet I have never honored God? If you have not been acquainted with this mystery of godliness in sanctifying his Name in these things, this is said from God to you this morning, that you have never done any action, not even one, to the honor of God. You have need to begin doing this presently for your time is not long. And will you go out of this world never having honored the Name of God?

Yes, and further, you have lost all your duties, all your time has been lost that you have spent performing duties. Now, it is an ill thing to idle away time in the things of the world. When a man has an opportunity to gain something in the world, if he loses his time and neglects it, we account it a very sad thing to him. But, now to lose our trading-time for heaven (for the times of worshipping God are our trading times for heaven) that is sad indeed. And yet you that do not make a conscious effort of sanctifying the Name of God in holy duties, well, all the time you have spent is lost."

Last edited:
Everyone would do well to brush the dust off of J. Burrough's work on the matter-especially in light of the recent threads on the subject.

I am so grateful for God given faith which makes up for all my half hearted work I do for Him.

Burroughs says:

"You should think in this way: it would be better for me that I should die, and that I were under the ground and rotting there, than that the word of God should ever be disgraced by me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back