He Hath a Father’s Heart, and a Father’s Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
Samuel Rutherford giving some pastoral direction on affliction (Letters, pp. 607-608):

Your afflictions smell of the children’s case; the bairns of the house are so nurtured (Heb. 12:6, 7, 8). And suffering is no new life, it is but the rent of the sons; bastards have not so much of the rent. Take kindly and heartsomely with His cross, who never yet slew a child with the cross. He breweth your cup: therefore, drink it patiently and with the better will. Stay and wait on, till Christ loose the knot that fasteneth His cross on your back; for He is coming to deliver. And I pray you, sister, learn to be worthy of His pains who correcteth. And let Him wring, and be ye washen; for He hath a Father’s heart, and a Father’s hand, who is training you up, and making you meet for the high hall. This school of suffering is a preparation for the King’s higher house; and let all your visitations speak all the letters of your Lord’s summons. They cry—1. “O vain world!” 2. “O bitter sin!” 3. “O short and uncertain time!” 4. “O fair eternity that is above sickness and death!” 5. “O kingly and princely Bridegroom, hasten glory’s marriage, shorten time’s short-spun and soon-broken thread, and conquer sin!” 6. “O happy and blessed death, that golden bridge laid over by Christ my Lord, between time’s clay-banks and heaven’s shore!” And the Spirit and the Bride say, “Come!” and answer ye with them, “Even so, come, Lord Jesus! come quickly!”​

I've come to love Rutherford's letters so very much after reading them for the first time this summer. I always read a few before I turn out the light for sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back