He hath promised Who cannot lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (The Throne of Grace), Works 1:75-76:

All God’s promises are sure, because they are his promises that cannot lie. And they are yet farther confirmed of God in Christ, Gal. 3:17. So that the believer, in his pleading of God’s promises, may lay down this conclusion: I want indeed great and many blessings; but I want nothing, I ask nothing, but what he hath promised who cannot lie, and what is confirmed in Jesus Christ, the Amen, the true and faithful witness. Believers fail greatly in their neglect to quicken and strengthen their faith, by taking up the promises in their full extent, fulness, freeness, and certainty. It is always found, that faith is weak, when the promises are mean in our eyes: but if the promise appear, and shine in its glory, as God’s faithful word; then faith is aloft, and acts strongly. Hence it is, that all strong believing gives glory to the promises, Rom. 4:20; and weak faith reflects on him, Psalm 77:8, 9, Hath God forgotten to be gracious? doth his promise fail for evermore? Alas! it was the good man’s infirmity to say and think so, ver. 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back