He made the stars also

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
We briefly discussed "dark matter" on another thread. I thought this was a good article which shows the religious nature of scientific hypothesis.

http://creation.com/stars-dont-form-naturally

One must invent unknown stuff — dark matter — with the right properties — the unknown ‘god of the gaps’ — to get stars to form naturalistically. Without it, it just can’t happen!

But why invent this unknown stuff? There are various areas in astrophysics and cosmology where dark matter is invoked to solve some problem. But more fundamentally why invent a ‘god’ to overcome established laws of physics to explain star formation? Is it because if they don’t astronomers will have to admit that materialism fails and that there is more to the Universe than hydrogen, helium, some heavier elements, magnetic fields, radiation and the laws of physics?

Interesting.

There are a great deal of faith presuppositions in modern cosmology.

About dark matter....I've read that in order for the stars and galaxies to be the way they are, it seems that much mass is "missing". In fact, what we see is only 5% of what we ought to see supposedly.

I am admittedly poorly read on dark matter, but I know some people think it is the firmament, ie, a dense material which is currently invisible and unmeasurable and makes up that "missing mass" . Perhaps one day we will be able to actually measure it, much like radio waves and gamma rays were invisible and unmeasurable centuries ago. Or perhaps the firmament is something else entirely and dark matter is just another conjecture to deal with the old earth problems. I don't know.

At any rate, it is an interesting article, thank you.

About dark matter....I've read that in order for the stars and galaxies to be the way they are, it seems that much mass is "missing". In fact, what we see is only 5% of what we ought to see supposedly.

The idea is that there must be gravity produced by matter which isn't seen. From there it is supposed that the dark matter is the force which has sculpted the universe. Without dark matter, there would be no galaxies, then no stars, then no planets, then no people. That is a simplification, but it shows the evolutionary concepts behind the idea and the way in which the divine attributes of power, wisdom, etc., are given to the creature to account for the creation.

MW said:
The idea is that there must be gravity produced by matter which isn't seen. From there it is supposed that the dark matter is the force which has sculpted the universe. Without dark matter, there would be no galaxies, then no stars, then no planets, then no people. That is a simplification, but it shows the evolutionary concepts behind the idea and the way in which the divine attributes of power, wisdom, etc., are given to the creature to account for the creation.
Supposing there is something there producing gravity that cannot be seen is reasonable speculation. From there though, they start using it to build their evolving universe. One difficulty with evaluating cosmological and astrophysical theories/evidence is trying to distinguish between what is theorized/"demonstrated" for/by evolutionary reasons and what is theorized/"demonstrated" for/by more legitimate reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back