He pleads satisfied, though guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Hugh Binning, Works, p. 346:

But how doth Christ plead? Can he plead us not guilty? Can he excuse or defend our sins? No, that is not the way. That accusation of the word and law against us is confessed, is proven, all is undeniably clear; but, he pleads satisfied, though guilty, – he presents his satisfactory sacrifice and the savour of that perfumes heaven, and pacifieth all. He shows God’s bond and discharge of the receipt of the sum of our debt, and thus is he cleared, and we absolved. Therefore I desire you, whoever you are that are challenged for sin, and the transgression of the law, if ye would have a solid way of satisfaction and peace to your consciences, take with your guiltiness. Plead not “not guilty.” Do not excuse or extenuate, but aggravate your guilt. Nay, in this you may help Satan; accuse yourselves, and say that you know more evil in yourselves than he doth, and open that up before God. But in the meantime, consider how it is managed above. Plead thou also, “satisfied in Christ though guilty;” and so thou mayest say to thy accuser, “If thou hast any thing to object against me, why I may not be saved, though a sinner, thou must go up to the highest tribunal to propone [propound] it, thou must come before my judge and advocate above; but forasmuch as thou dost not appear there, it is but a lie, and a murdering lie.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back