He won't play ball on Sunday

Discussion in 'The Law of God' started by Blueridge Believer, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

David,

Just out of sheer curiosity. This is your first post in this thread. Did you read the OP? Did you read the link that James provided in the OP? Have you read the entire thread? Did you read Rich's last post?

2. ColdSilverMoon

ColdSilverMoon Puritan Board Senior

Actually they can. All those things you mention are a convenience rather than a true necessity. It's a matter of scale: turning out the power on Sundays would be a massive inconvenience but we would survive, just as all the people survived for thousands of years before the late 19th century. So ultimately there is a certain degree of contradiction in everyone's Sabbath keeping as long as you are trying to raw absolute lines defining what is strictly acceptable and unacceptable for every person.

Rich, I agree with you. My point is that when we elevate God's Law to normative then obedience to the Law naturally follows. I wasn't saying you or Bill are advocating perspectivalism. I agree with you and Bill and Joshua that when we love God's Law and embrace it in its entirety then keeping it appropriately and completely follows from that, though I also agree that sanctification allows us to keep it more and more as we should.

My point is that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to develop a set of rules that applies to every single Christian concerning the Sabbath. I'm not advocating playing "line games" and believe it is a real danger. On the other hand, I do think that Sabbath-keeping is, at least to a degree, a matter of individual conscience when it comes to particular activities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.