Head Coverings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet they (two separate occasions) were worshipping they were the only ones there that were... and Jesus found great value in that

12 For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.
13 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.
(Mat*26:12-13*KJV)

Then it was private and not a called stated public worship service as 1 Cor is explaining.

You do see a difference in public worship and private?
1 Cor 11:18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, NKJV

1 Cor 11: 20 Therefore when you come together in one place, NKJV

1 Cor 14:23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, NKJV

1 Cor 14:26Whenever you come together,NKJV

1 Cor 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. NKJV

1 Cor 14:34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. NKJV

They also worship at home.
It is a different circumstance and different ordinances

I've wrestled with this quite a bit over the years, and still haven't landed firmly. But I am more and more persuaded that it is a biblical command with clear principles that reveal our relationship with our Creator. As one dear sister pointed out in one of our previous threads, it's a privilege and honor to wear head coverings to the glory of God. We must make sure that we clearly understand the principle Paul is teaching before we debunk a command that can clearly help us grow in Christ, and proclaim Him to those who witness our testimony.

Thanks for this addition to the thread. I know that the threads on this topic at times get testy, but I have found them wonderful and enlightening. I'm left without a clear understanding thus far and look forward to reading more.

The occasion of Mary anointing the Lord in John 12 seems pretty "public" to me and if you ask me 12 Apostles and the Lord Jesus makes it "church"

However I certainly concede that it is proper for a woman to always ask her husband what is appropriate conduct especially in public.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
(Eph*5:24-25*KJV)

We also must be careful not to assume a clear doctrinal principle from descriptive Scripture. The point of the passage where a sinful woman worships Christ is not headship or created order. It is repentance and honoring the Messiah. There is much we are not told about this account. Let us be careful to gain from what we are taught, and steer clear of attempting to make a clear doctrine of the blank spaces in our Bibles.

We also must be careful not to assume a clear doctrinal principle from descriptive Scripture. The point of the passage where a sinful woman worships Christ is not headship or created order. It is repentance and honoring the Messiah. There is much we are not told about this account. Let us be careful to gain from what we are taught, and steer clear of attempting to make a clear doctrine of the blank spaces in our Bibles.

Amen to that last statement brother! (by the way the woman in Jn. 12 is not called a sinner)

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. (Mar*7:9*KJV)

13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye. (Mar*7:13*KJV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back