Healing Prayer? is this real??

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly

Puritan Board Freshman
How it was explained is that hands are laid on someone and they are prayed over and the Holy Spirit flows through them and does a healing work. (This is not for a physical healing of some ailment)

Anyway. the question I have is this: Is this real? Can anyone point me to some scripture to answer this question?
BTW this comes from an assembly of God group.

thanks
shelly

There is no way we can "command" God or "throw the Holy Spirit around like a football". While I do believe GOd will and does heal people through prayer (maybe even instantly) it is HIS will, not ours. And no formula or mantra can be used to get the result you want.

The scriptures these people will use are scriptures of the disciples and Jesus healing others by touch, by their shadow, by a blessing, a word, or breathing on them (I grew up believing this stuff!) but what they fail to realize is that Jesus and the disciples had a special "signs" ministry to prove Jesus was the Messiah.

I would agree with Adam here. The big problem with the Neo-pentecostals are the fact that they have placed personal experience above biblical teaching and redifined the Gospel to be nothing more than a sign or wonder. We need to be careful of these groups.

For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things. Mark 13:22-23

This is Christian superstition. While the Apostles were able to communicate the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands, there is no reason or evidence to support any others doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back