Hebrews 4:9 - what is the "sabbath rest"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew11v25

Puritan Board Sophomore
"So then there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God" (Hebrews 4:9)

It seems to me that this verse speaks of the believer's 1 in 7 sabbath rest. But after reading John Macarthur on Hebrews, I am pretty sure he doesn't agree with me.

What "rest" do think this verse is speaking of, and how does it relate to the immediate context of Hebrews 4?

***What "rest" do think this verse is speaking of, and how does it relate to the immediate context of Hebrews 4?***

Sabbath. The Greek word is Sabbatismos,and is only found in Heb 4:9.Properly translated means rest,and is synonymous with salvation in Christ.
andreas.:candle:

It refers both to the Lord's Day, and to "rest" in glory; the former being a precursor of the latter.

Owen is extremely helpful on this in Vol 18.

In the chapter "rest" is used climactically.

kataleipome,nhj

kataleipome,nhj

kataleipome,nhj

then -

sabbatismo.j

We have a sabbatismo.j

believe

Hi brothers,

I'm new to this forum, but found this topic of interest.

A few ideas may be in light of the whole of Hebrews, that the problem with these people was they had the OT sacrifices ingrained into their being and it is an argument to find rest from their effort (4:9-10) He refers to it as Sabbath rest because it stands for completion in the finished sacrifice of Christ.

I remember when I was converted finding this helpful because I needed to find a place where my faith could rest. And it was only found in Christ.

Also 4:12-13 is an interesting place for the writer to start talking about scripture. Perhaps believing God's promises in scripture is key to finding rest as well. (see 3:19)

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back