Heeelp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed danmpen above. Thanks Dan. If you even know of some utilities that can get him into the NTFS partition if that's what his drive was formatted for....

I'm not sure I understand the question. If his drive is formatted for NTFS, then Vista should read it and get into it just fine.

At least I've run into the issue before that if you're not logged into a specific account on a machine with NTFS that you only have access to your user account folder under Documents and Settings and none of the others.

Just noticed danmpen above. Thanks Dan. If you even know of some utilities that can get him into the NTFS partition if that's what his drive was formatted for....

I'm not sure I understand the question. If his drive is formatted for NTFS, then Vista should read it and get into it just fine.

At least I've run into the issue before that if you're not logged into a specific account on a machine with NTFS that you only have access to your user account folder under Documents and Settings and none of the others.

Oh, yeah, I know what you're talking about. Since his hard drive is an external, and he not booting from it, he should be able to view his files and folders just like he's looking at a flash drive.

Matthew, do you have Skype or GoogleTalk? Or does someone you know use one of them? I could ask you some more questions if we could speak over the phone/internet. (And Skype & GoogleTalk are free)

Check the air in the tires and make sure it has oil....:lol:

Matthew. Bring it to a comp person. Call and ask them if they can help you first and make sure you agree on a price to fix it, not only diagnose it. I had one try to bang me over the head with an hourly diagnosic rate and said it took him 10 hours to find the problem. He did not get paid...:cool:

Thanks, Dan, for your generous offer, but I'm happy to pay the fee for a tech. to work on it. So far I've been given a hopeful diagnosis, so I'll wait to see what the outcome of the surgery is.

BTW, after having read various pages to find a solution to my problem, and been confronted with the technical language used, I don't think I'll take anyone seriously who dares to suggest that theology employs too many technical terms. I'll take Rutherford and Witsius with their Hebrew, Greek and Latin any day.

Thanks, Dan, for your generous offer, but I'm happy to pay the fee for a tech. to work on it. So far I've been given a hopeful diagnosis, so I'll wait to see what the outcome of the surgery is.

BTW, after having read various pages to find a solution to my problem, and been confronted with the technical language used, I don't think I'll take anyone seriously who dares to suggest that theology employs too many technical terms. I'll take Rutherford and Witsius with their Hebrew, Greek and Latin any day.

:lol: You should try being a Marine.

:lol::lol: Or a lawyer!

:lol::lol: Or a lawyer!

Very true. I've been a Convening Authority in the Marine Corps before so I learned some of that stuff. I've said this before that a lot of times people in certain professions are really "shells" when it comes to understanding something but it takes a while to learn their vocabulary to see if they don't know what they're talking about. DoD is just a monstrosity that they have huge volumes of acronyms.

As for your inbox, what program were you using?

Outlook Express. Any idea what files I'm looking for and where I might find them on the old XP file structure. Having done so, how does one import it into Vista's "Windows Mail."

As for your inbox, what program were you using?

Outlook Express. Any idea what files I'm looking for and where I might find them on the old XP file structure. Having done so, how does one import it into Vista's "Windows Mail."

They should be at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

where {GUID} is the Global Unique IDentifier (technical jargon for a unique long number) used to specify an Identity.

Each folder is it's own file (.dbx I think). You can move those to the new hard drive and then bring them back into Outlook Express on your new hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back