Heidelberg Catechism in German and Latin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidius

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Does anyone know whether copies of the Heidelberg Catechism in the original Latin and German editions are available online?

The definitive critical edition of the Three Forms of Unity (including the Heidelberg Catechism) is still J.N. Bakhuizen Van Den Brink's De Nederlandse Belijdenisgeschriften. The Catechism is there in the original German, Latin and Dutch, along with critical notes. A little bit of Dutch knowledge is handy to make maximum use of it, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately, it's not available online and it's hard to find in hard copy too, being out of print since 1976.

I looked hard for the 1863 triglot tercentenary edition (German, Latin, English, with introduction by John W. Nevin) online but to no avail. Schaff has the German and English editions side by side in Creeds of Christendom, Vol. III. (see here).

I looked hard for the 1863 triglot tercentenary edition (German, Latin, English, with introduction by John W. Nevin) online but to no avail. Schaff has the German and English editions side by side in Creeds of Christendom, Vol. III. (see here).

If you can't find it then I despair.

Why did Schaff not include the Latin edition?!

If you can't find it then I despair.

Why did Schaff not include the Latin edition?!
Abebooks has a $70 copy. Seems steep for a "mostly good" copy with some soiled pages.

I found H.A. Niemeyer's Collectio confessionum in Ecclesiis reformatis publicatarum (1840) online which includes the German edition (p. 390ff) and Latin edition (p. 428ff) of the Heidelberg Catechism, which may be of interest.

See here.

Also, for good measure (although a poor edition) and for reference purposes, his appendix, published 9 months later, which includes the Westminster Standards in Latin (see here).

I found H.A. Niemeyer's Collectio confessionum in Ecclesiis reformatis publicatarum (1840) online which includes the German edition (p. 390ff) and Latin edition (p. 428ff) of the Heidelberg Catechism, which may be of interest.

See here.

Also, for good measure (although a poor edition) and for reference purposes, his appendix, published 9 months later, which includes the Westminster Standards in Latin (see here).

Brilliant! I knew I could count on you, Andrew! :D

See here.

Brilliant! I knew I could count on you, Andrew! :D

You're welcome, Davidus! ;) Glad to be of service, brother. :handshake:

Andrew!

You are amazing! It is worth being part of this board if for no other reason that to have our very own super researcher!

Thanks, Sebastian! Is there a way to add the key for the critical apparatus? I can give it here (in English), but for future reference it might be handy to append it to that document (assuming you're responsible for it).

First column: Textus receptus from the Church Order of the Palatinate, November 15, 1563. Notes: first edition, January 1563 (A).

Second column: Latin text, Heidelberg 1563. Notes: text from Ursinus (U); from Jacobus Revius 1627 (R).

Third Column: Dutch text according to that found in the Book of Confessions, Middelburg 1611. Notes: Emden edition 1563 (E); translation of Petrus Dathenus, 1563 (D); mixed text, Emden 1565 (G); text from C. van der Heyden, 1580 (H), reprinting of van der Heyden, 1591 (H2), Cloppenburg edition, 1639 (C).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back