Hellboy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

panta dokimazete

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
**sigh** I know I am really setting myself up for criticism here...but...

I was such a comic book geek growing up and these movies really are quintessentially comic book - action/adventure with a touch of the "supernatural" - I confess, brothers, I am having a very difficult time NOT going to see these.

I rationalize that these movies in NO WAY represent reality - baby demons do not exist or have redemptive potential and Hell is not filled with phantasmagorical fleshly creatures trying to invade and conquer our fleshly world, nor is Earth populated with people of "special" abilities.

It is a fantasy world, much like the Lord of the Rings or Narnia, but unlike the Potter series in that it does not glorify witchcraft or demon worship. In fact the "hero" renounces his fallen heritage and aligns with the "forces of good".

Bottom line: I enjoy watching big tough guys beat the poo out of bad guys and the "good guys" come out on the winning side.

Is that so bad? :confused:

Since the movie is due soon - **bump**

ANYBODY else going to see this?

[video=youtube;tUAJmmDRWo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUAJmmDRWo0[/video]

I'm a comic dork maybe that's why I'm single but at least I have more money for good lit than romantic evenings that lead to trouble.

No way man I can get them graded and auctioned off !!!

If you go to marvel.com they have free comics you can look at online if you pay 5.00 a month you can read a massive archive.

I'[ve been thinking about trying out Green Lantern have you read it and think its any good?

No way man I can get them graded and auctioned off !!!

If you go to marvel.com they have free comics you can look at online if you pay 5.00 a month you can read a massive archive.

I'[ve been thinking about trying out Green Lantern have you read it and think its any good?
Never did Green Lantern, I liked X-Men, Spiderman, old Batman, and Fantastic Four.:2cents:

I confess I enjoyed the first Hellboy film. As Max said,"It's cheesy cool."

Hope the second doesn't nose dive. I've often found sequels dissapointing.

I saw Daredevil a few years back and was disappointed with that one.

Anybody heard about the Iron Man film? I used to read that one years ago and Green Lantern Corps.

The Spiderman films are all pretty good but I have a hard time watching them. I know the point of Spiderman is "dorky kid is acctually hero" sorta thing. But I have a hard time getting past Toby McGuire.

Looks good. I love his "piece", it makes a Desert Eagle look like my son's plastic Dollar Tree pistol.

"You woke up the baby..." :lol: (watch Nathan's link)

:popcorn: I'll wait for the dvd. At $11.00+ a ticket, (not to mention the outrageous price of theatre popcorn) I'll be able to own for less than it would cost to take the kid to see it.:2cents:

I can't believe you people call yourselves christians yet watch movies suchas this. IT has Hell in the title, therefore you know it will send you to hell. Also IT has boy in the title and thus means you have to be an imature comic book loving child to enjoy this movie. I am so disappointed in you..:lol: I had to give it a shot since no one else was. Seriously though I really enjoyed the first movie, it wasnt my favorite Comic movie But I never read the graphic novel so I am at a dissadvantage. I will probably wait for the DVD to watch this mainly because my Dad owns a video store so I can watch anything on DVD for free whereas I have to pay to go the theater.

I am pumped about the new Will Smith movie that is supposed to be a superhero movie too, has anyone seen a trailer for it?

I can't believe you people call yourselves christians yet watch movies suchas this. IT has Hell in the title, therefore you know it will send you to hell. Also IT has boy in the title and thus means you have to be an imature comic book loving child to enjoy this movie. I am so disappointed in you..:lol: I had to give it a shot since no one else was. Seriously though I really enjoyed the first movie, it wasnt my favorite Comic movie But I never read the graphic novel so I am at a dissadvantage. I will probably wait for the DVD to watch this mainly because my Dad owns a video store so I can watch anything on DVD for free whereas I have to pay to go the theater.

I am pumped about the new Will Smith movie that is supposed to be a superhero movie too, has anyone seen a trailer for it?
I have not heard about the new Smith flick! What Superhero is it based on?:detective:

I will probably still see hellboy though! My Wife and I are always looking for good movies :drool:

JD, maybe this is off topic and I certainly don't mean to start an argument, but what exactly in the Potter series glorifies demon worship? I consider myself as well up on that series as it's respectable to be, and I never noticed demons at all, much less anyone worshipping them....

JD, maybe this is off topic and I certainly don't mean to start an argument, but what exactly in the Potter series glorifies demon worship? I consider myself as well up on that series as it's respectable to be, and I never noticed demons at all, much less anyone worshipping them....

:worms: ?

I liked the Potter series. Good fun fiction. :2cents:

:popcorn:

sorry, not clear - the demon worship part meant Hellboy does not encourage it - whereas the Potter series does glorify practicing witchcraft.

Actually I think you were clear from the start. The Potter series does not promote the worship of demons, and as far as witchcraft goes, the verbal resemblance (witch) does not make Harry Potter anywhere near to actual witchcraft. (As wizard in Lord of the Rings does not track with the Biblical uses of the word.) I thought I had pointed out before that with the Muggle/Wizard divide and the phenomena of Muggle-borns and Squibs that if anything, "powers" in Harry Potter have some sort of a genetic basis. There are objections to Harry Potter, as there are objections to every piece of narrative fiction except Pilgrim's Progress; but assuming occult promotion in them seems to me (as someone who has read all of the books at least twice) a bit thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back