hello all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukemk824

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi everyone, my name is Luke. Newbie freshman here.

I am a Christian who is newly reformed (over the last few years), and still learning much. I am studying all the reformed confessions with an open mind and gleaning much from each. My theology holds to the doctrines of grace, the sufficiency and authority of scripture, and the perfect sovereignty of God over all things.

I was raised a pastor’s kid in the Church of Christ and never knew anything of reformed theology or Calvinism until I was truly saved in my early twenties. Though raised in a very different tradition, when I made my faith my own (not my parents’ or my church’s), it was under the teaching of reformed theologians and pastors. The church I am currently a part of is a hurting church and I know God has me there to serve them at this time. My father was the pastor of this church and after a scandal that led to his resignation (while I was already looking for a reformed church), I felt I could not leave the church in good conscience without helping restore some soft of normalcy there. My wife and I plan to move when it is time for me to attend seminary, and at that time we intend to become members of a local reformed church.

I would be happy to answer any questions about this. My situation is quite unique. It is a long story and I do not want to ramble on too much in this specific post.

I have been a non-member visitor to the website for over a year now. I sought membership with the Puritan board because I love Puritan theology and the discussions had here. I was often finding myself wanting to ask questions or share my input on certain posts and am glad to finally have the opportunities to do so now. Thank you!

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome! I'm curious your thoughts on this... I've noticed externally a lot of similarities between Puritans/classical Presbyterian worship and practice and the CoC even though the CoC has serious doctrinal deviances. The CoC still practices a capella worship, simple worship services focused around the elements found in Scripture, keep the Lord's Day holy, and limited attachments to holidays. There is a little bit of a Puritan-esque way of approaching Scripture and worship, just with some errors and serious deviations with sacraments and doctrine of soteriology.

Lukemk824

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome! I'm curious your thoughts on this... I've noticed externally a lot of similarities between Puritans/classical Presbyterian worship and practice and the CoC even though the CoC has serious doctrinal deviances. The CoC still practices a capella worship, simple worship services focused around the elements found in Scripture, keep the Lord's Day holy, and limited attachments to holidays. There is a little bit of a Puritan-esque way of approaching Scripture and worship, just with some errors and serious deviations with sacraments and doctrine of soteriology.
Hi Jake, thank you. Although the vein of CoC that my parents lived in was more non-denominational leaning (which is where most of those churches have gone, and the non-instrumental CoCs are on their last leg, I would say), I totally see what you are saying, and I would agree with you. The non-instrumental CoCs from my experience run very close to legalism, sadly. The CoC seems to uphold the things you mentioned for traditions sake, rather than a conviction from God’s word. It started early in the restoration movement with that holy conviction, but has since devolved into something less than admirable.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
Hi Jake, thank you. Although the vein of CoC that my parents lived in was more non-denominational leaning (which is where most of those churches have gone, and the non-instrumental CoCs are on their last leg, I would say), I totally see what you are saying, and I would agree with you. The non-instrumental CoCs from my experience run very close to legalism, sadly. The CoC seems to uphold the things you mentioned for traditions sake, rather than a conviction from God’s word. It started early in the restoration movement with that holy conviction, but has since devolved into something less than admirable.
Understood. I know there's a range in CoC. I ended up in a CoC worship service once and it seemed remarkably similar to a Scottish Presbyterian worship service but the sermon had elements verging on heresy (pelagianism).

retroGRAD3

Puritan Board Junior
Understood. I know there's a range in CoC. I ended up in a CoC worship service once and it seemed remarkably similar to a Scottish Presbyterian worship service but the sermon had elements verging on heresy (pelagianism).
I think they also believe that unless you are baptized you cannot be saved. Even if you have accepted Christ and are that very moment on your way to be baptized, if you get hit by a car, die, and thus don't make it, you go to hell. Also, if you aren't completely put under the water, again hell. I think much of the Church of Christ (if that is what we are talking about) is actually a cult. If I am getting my facts mixed up, please correct me.

Lukemk824

Puritan Board Freshman
I think they also believe that unless you are baptized you cannot be saved. Even if you have accepted Christ and are that very moment on your way to be baptized, if you get hit by a car, die, and thus don't make it, you go to hell. Also, if you aren't completely put under the water, again hell. I think much of the Church of Christ (if that is what we are talking about) is actually a cult. If I am getting my facts mixed up, please correct me.
I would not go so far as to say it is a cult. Just bad theology. Lots of genuine people who I am confident are saved.

But yes, the baptism issue is probably the biggest. My grandpa went to his deathbed believing a woman in the hospital who accepted the gospel when he preached it to her and wanted to be baptized but died before it could happen was never saved. It’s just what he was taught, by those who witnessed to him and those who trained him in Bible college. It is sad that his theology was off in some important places and he couldn’t be convinced otherwise but he was a servant of Christ who loved the Lord and was ultimately an inspiration for me to become a pastor myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.