Hello from central Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hannah_, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Hannah_

Hannah_ Puritan Board Freshman

Hi im new to reformed doctrine, but a long time lurker on this site. Does anyone have any suggested reading?

2. Ryan&Amber2013

Ryan&Amber2013 Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome! What part of Florida are you in?

As for reading, what are you most passionate about right now? Maybe that will help everyone give you recommendations.

3. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Senior

4. Hannah_

Right now I have been listening to a lot of jonathan edwards john piper and im going through rc sprouls sysematic theology. Im also looking into progressive covenantalism vs progressive dispensationalism trying to figure out what affirms the Bible.

5. Hannah_

6. kainos01

kainos01 Puritan Board Junior

Sproul will certainly give you an accessible introduction to Reformed theology; Piper, not so much (he isn't really Reformed, other than being loosely Calvinistic and he has some fairly novel ideas, as well). Edwards is great - in a class of his own, actually - but maybe not the best place to start, as he can make the heads of lifelong students of Reformed theology spin!

Are you coming from a Baptist perspective? If so, reading some of Spurgeon's sermons will certainly profit you. Of course, it would surely help to familiarize yourself with the relevant Reformed confession(s).

Ultimately, it may be best to begin reading Scripture with a good commentary nearby to understand the texts as they are typically understood in Reformed theology. Matthew Henry is always a pretty good option for this.

By the way - welcome! May your interactions here prove fruitful in your relationship with the Savior.

7. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Greetings.

8. Hannah_

I am coming from a baptist perspective. I really like Spurgeon a lot. The carzy thing is that I have studied The three forms of unity and the LBCF before and grew up reading Edwards and for that matter even reading right passed every verse God gave us about election and always found reasons to explian them away with straw man arguments that somehow made sense to me. I didnt have a heart to be transformed by the word but rather I wanted God to fit the image that I had of Him. But a few weeks ago God started a work in me and gave the grace to ask Him to show me the truth and he opened my eyes. Its amazing that its been right in front of my face this whole time but my heart could ignore it.

9. arapahoepark

I was a Baptist leaner but, no longer. I would read standard works. If I were you probably more updated or modern. Horton is pretty good though at WSCAL they have a different aort of CT.
    There is this site by a fellow and learned divine
    https://www.ruinandredemption.com

10. kainos01

kainos01 Puritan Board Junior

Trent, just curious: ... why?

11. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable Staff Member

Welcome aboard, Hannah!

You might find Berkhof a good starting point to obtain a solid Presbyterian Reformed grounding in doctrinal topics.

A summary (pdf or epub versions can be downloaded):
    https://www.biblicaltraining.org/library/summary-christian-doctrine-louis-berkhof

The full treatment (pdf or epub versions can be downloaded):
    https://www.biblicaltraining.org/library/systematic-theology-louis-berkhof

For a Baptist perspective, I think Waldron is a good start:
    https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Exposition-Baptist-Confession-Faith/dp/1783971878

To get a sense of the confessional distinctions, see this:
    http://www.proginosko.com/docs/wcf_lbcf.html

12. Hannah_

Thank you!

13. Hannah_

Thank you

14. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable Staff Member

15. Cymro

Cymro Puritan Board Junior

Is it not amazing to have the eyes of ones understanding enlightened to doctrines one has opposed? It’s like a second conversion. And the beauty of it is there might be more to come! Anyway, welcome Hannah, and you will find plenty of reading material suggested in the posts week by week.

• Like Like x 4
    • Amen Amen x 2
    • List
  16. arapahoepark

Newbie to get their feet wet.

17. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Welcome to the Board. I also am of the Reformed baptist persuasion, and would say that to me 2 good Systematic Theology Primers on getting to understand reformed positions better were one by James Montgomery Boice, and the one by Berkhof.
    Knowing God by JI Packer was also helpful to me in my migration from being a Pentecostal freewill Baptist, to a Dispensational, to now one who would hold to a more Reformed Baptist viewpoint.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritan Board Freshman

Hannah, welcome to the community. Praise God that you have been lead to the Reformed faith. Thomas Watson's "Body of Divinity" was hugely influential on me when transitioning into the Reformed community. I highly recommend William Ames "Marrow of Theology." It is masterfully succinct. It is a great way to get started with Reformed doctrine. Herman Witsius' "Economy of the Covenants" is a must read. John Murray's "Redemption Accomplished and Applied" is a great read. Calvin's "Institutes" of course is a gold standard. If you don't want to dive too much into the polemic side of Calvin right off the bat, I would start with the Banner of Truth edition of "Institutes."

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  19. lynnie

lynnie Puritan Board Senior

Hello, and welcome! Nice to have you!

20. Jeri Tanner

Jeri Tanner Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome Hannah!