Hello from Central Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.L. Arter

Puritan Board Freshman
I wanted to introduce myself before I completely forgot to do so. My name's Daniel, I grew up in Central Ohio (just outside of Columbus); my mom is Korean, so I grew up going to a Korean Presbyterian church in Columbus (despite the fact that I don't speak Korean whatsoever). During my early teen years, my mom decided that I should probably go to a church that speaks the same language that I do and started sending me to an IFB church close to my home (I have several opinions about the IFB movement, but I was blessed to be in a church that sought to follow Scripture; I don't have the horror-story background that many do from IFB churches). It was in that church that I first heard the Gospel clearly presented and I repented and believed. Shortly after that moment, my parents divorced and I found myself living with my unbelieving dad until my senior year of high school (of which I lived on my own) and my faith, while still important to me, wasn't a significant priority to me.

Because of my IFB background, I was familiar with Bob Jones University, so when I decided to study for ministry, I applied to Bob Jones University first. My first semester there was in 2010, but going from living on my own to living in a very rigid environment didn't work well for me, and I left midway through my second semester and moved to Central Pennsylvania and started serving in youth ministry and as a deacon of a small Baptist church in rural town. I served there for almost five years and after getting married, my wife and I decided that I should go back to school to finish ministry training. Of course, I went back to Bob Jones University (I had heard of the significant changes that the new university president had started making (plus, I didn't have to live on campus anymore)). I have a BS in Ministry & Leadership with a concentration in Apologetics and an MA in Biblical Studies; I'm currently pursuing an MDiv in Biblical Counseling all from Bob Jones University (I'm hoping to continue my education with a PhD in Systematic Theology; though I'm not sure where I would pursue that degree). While studying on campus, I served as an Assistant Pastor of a revitalizing, independent Baptist church (with a focus on discipleship ministries) until it became possible to do my classwork virtually. Since I'm able to continue my education online, I'm now serving as a church-planting pastor in rural, Central Pennsylvania about 15-20 miles from State College, PA. Our church is unaffiliated and non-denominational, however, since I am the primary teaching and preaching elder, the church is Reformed Baptist doctrinally.

It was during my first year of seminary when I started looking into Reformed theology more (primarily due to several required readings from Reformed theologians and the Puritans) and I found myself in agreement with everything in the London Baptist Confession. I was reluctant initially to claim myself as Reformed, but the reality is that my theological and doctrinal convictions line up with the LBC and I find myself reading and agreeing with Reformed theologians rather than others. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and I'm looking forward to edifying conversations.

Zach

Puritan Board Junior
Welcome, Daniel! I grew up in State College and have family in Clearfield County so I've driven through Philipsburg many times. May the Lord bless your ministry there!

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
Greetings. I had a friend in college who had departed BJU after she confronted one or more of the Bobs over their ties to freemasonry. The leadership was too liberal for her there so she ended up at the University of Georgia.

D.L. Arter

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome, Daniel! I grew up in State College and have family in Clearfield County so I've driven through Philipsburg many times. May the Lord bless your ministry there!
I get so excited anytime I meet anyone that actually knows where Philipsburg is. It’s such a small community, which is why I always mention State College as well.

D.L. Arter

Puritan Board Freshman
Isnt John Piper's dad connected to Bob Jones?
I remember reading somewhere that Piper’s dad was on their board of trustees several years ago, but I can’t confirm that. I know Piper himself, lived close to the campus and went to high school at Wade Hampton, which is right down the road from Bob Jones University.

Frosty

Puritan Board Sophomore
Greetings....I also know Phillipsburg....Houtzdale, Osceola Mills, etc.....had some customers up there. I am just south of Pittsburgh.

D.L. Arter

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings....I also know Phillipsburg....Houtzdale, Osceola Mills, etc.....had some customers up there. I am just south of Pittsburgh.
That's amazing, I can't tell you how many people I speak to that have no clue where any of those towns are. I have met people in Philipsburg that have no clue where Houtzdale is (despite it only being 10-15 miles from our town). My wife grew up in Smithmill/Janesville, which is just past Houtzdale and we both graduated high school from Moshannon Valley in Houtzdale.

Status
Not open for further replies.