Hello from England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookworm

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone,

I've been reading the Puritan Board for quite a while now, and enjoying the discussions, but this is my first actual post. I suppose I should say a few words of introduction.

My wife and I live in Cambridgeshire, in England, and we're members of Soham Baptist Church. I work full time as a researcher and lecturer for a UK-based creationist organization called Biblical Creation Ministries, about which you can find out more by following the link in my signature.

My early years as a believer were spent in a charismatic fellowship (and I still have friends in that church), although I soon began to have doubts about the biblical basis of charismatic theology and practice. Various books were helpful to me at that time, including Victor Budgen's The Charismatics and the Word of God (Evangelical Press) and Neil Babcox's My Search for Charismatic Reality (Wakeman), the former from the biblical, theological and historical perspectives, and the latter as a sensitively written testimony of a former charismatic church leader.

The next significant step in my discovery of Reformed theology was reading Life by his Death, Grace Publication's abridgement of John Owen's classic The Death of Death in the Death of Christ. I remember devouring this little volume with astonishment one afternoon, with my Bible in my other hand, thinking, 'How did I miss this for all this time?' :book2:

Since then, I suppose I have become more and more distinctively Reformed as time has gone on, and I have sought to re-evaluate many areas of my thinking in accordance with the Scriptures. But that's probably enough for now, lest I bore you too much with all the details of my journey of faith!

I'm looking forward to being a part of the PB community and contributing on occasion as time allows.

Best wishes,

Paul

JonathanHunt

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome Paul - good to have a fellow Englishman, and a Baptist to boot, on board! One word of advice, watch out for anyone who says 'rat brains'. They are not to be trusted.

lynnie

Puritan Board Graduate
Welcome. I have some books by the English creationist Malcolm Bowden, they are very good, and I am on his mailing list. I'll have to browse your site.

I spent my last year of Univ at St Andrews, summer in Dundee, honeymooned in Orkney a few year later. Saw York, London, Kew gardens...loved it over there.

I hope you'll read guys like Wayne Grudem and not entirely throw out 1 Cor 12& 14, even while you throw out 99% of charismania ( yeah, I used to be in it too), and new revelation. I love Iain Murray, and the way he keeps saying we need outpourings of the HS all our life.....you don't get it all when you get saved, and you don't get some second blessing and get it all. We never have it all, we need to pray for more of the HS work in our lives and churches as long as we live.

Bookworm

Puritan Board Freshman
Thanks everyone

I appreciate everyone's warm greetings. Thank you.

Welcome Paul - good to have a fellow Englishman, and a Baptist to boot, on board! One word of advice, watch out for anyone who says 'rat brains'. They are not to be trusted.

Jonathan, your photo looks familiar. :detective: Were you at the Salisbury Conference last year?

Bookworm

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome. I have some books by the English creationist Malcolm Bowden, they are very good, and I am on his mailing list. I'll have to browse your site.

Thanks, Lynnie. Our website is geared mainly to news about our organization's activities, rather than lots of creationist articles, but I hope you'll find it interesting. The News & Blog page will give you a feel for our whole approach -- focused on the positive and scholarly development of creationism from both scientific and theological perspectives.

I spent my last year of Univ at St Andrews, summer in Dundee, honeymooned in Orkney a few year later. Saw York, London, Kew gardens...loved it over there.

Sounds great. The Orkneys is one place I've never been but would really like to visit. I'd love to see the Neolithic settlement at Skara Brae.

I hope you'll read guys like Wayne Grudem and not entirely throw out 1 Cor 12& 14, even while you throw out 99% of charismania ( yeah, I used to be in it too), and new revelation. I love Iain Murray, and the way he keeps saying we need outpourings of the HS all our life.....you don't get it all when you get saved, and you don't get some second blessing and get it all. We never have it all, we need to pray for more of the HS work in our lives and churches as long as we live.

I'd regard myself these days as a cessationist, at least as far as the revelatory gifts are concerned, but absolutely agree that we need constantly to be infilled with the Spirit of God on a daily basis. Hmmm...how often do I explicitly pray that way? :think:

Peairtach

Puritan Board Doctor
Welcome, Paul.

I've come across your name before in BCS literature. You carry out a very necessary and important task for Christ's cause and Kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.