Hello from Gettysburg, PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhh712

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all. I joined here a little while ago but had never posted. Rather new to Christianity (was converted in 2013 via historical research on a Civil War character when I was 32 years old). Read the Westminster Confessions of Faith and thought it made the most sense of the Bible that I've ever heard. I reread the Bible and it was like I had never read it before.

I was raised in the Catholic Church, family was nominally Catholic. We stopped going to church when I was in high school; became an atheist for about 15 to 20 years. I grew up in Chicago suburbs/NW Indiana. Had moved to Las Vegas for nine years; that was where I was converted--joined the RPCna.

In 2014 I moved to North Carolina, that is where my historical research subject (D.H. Hill) was from. That is when I also met my husband on Christian Forums (he lived in Pittsburgh at the time). In 2016 we got married and moved to where I was offered a job, in Gettysburg, PA. In his infinitely wise counsel, the Lord chose to call my husband home to him in December of 2018 (he had a massive stroke that he never recovered from; no diagnosed health conditions and was only 62). It has grieved me deeply of course but the one thing I know that was the Lord's purpose was to draw me closer to himself. My faith has grown so much since that time when I felt as though my world had fallen all apart and all that I had was Jesus to cling to.

If I had not understood the doctrines of the Bible or if thought the Lord just wanted me to be happy, healthy and wealthy, I would have walked away from the faith and thought that God and Jesus was a lie. That is why I feel it is of the utmost important to have a faith that is built on doctrinal truths from the Scripture. Else, if it is just a feeling, how is your faith to hold up once that feeling goes away or if something horribly tragic happens to you? Most likely, your faith will be shaken beyond repair if it does not have a solid foundation.

I came here because I miss the Christian Forums, but I just can't bring myself to go back. This here seems a bit more theological and studious so I feel much like an amateur--but I hope to learn something, and maybe chime in sometimes. Just try to put up with the newby and her not-too-well-read-theologically faith. Working on the reading more, but I think I would need the day to last about 75 hours to get everything done in it that I would like to accomplish.

dhh712

Puritan Board Freshman
Thank you all for the kind welcomes.

Hey, I know you! Long time no see, Anne!

Oh, my--Zach! Hey, what are you doing here? In all my life on forum boards, I've never actually knew anyone in "real" life here. It's good to know you're here!

bookish_Basset

Puritan Board Freshman
It's nice to meet you, Anne! How interesting that you were converted in the process of doing historical research -- that sounds like a wonderful story. I'm from the Pittsburgh area myself.

timfost

Puritan Board Senior
Thank you all for the kind welcomes.

Oh, my--Zach! Hey, what are you doing here? In all my life on forum boards, I've never actually knew anyone in "real" life here. It's good to know you're here!
Hi, I can't say you know me in "real life," but I believe that you attend/attended church with my sister and her family. When we heard that your husband was in the hospital, we were praying for you all. I'm so glad that you have continued to grow closer to Christ through such difficult and painful circumstances.

We now attend Living Hope in Gettysburg. Perhaps our paths will cross in the near future.

Blessings, and I look forward to learning with you!

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
Hello Anne. Welcome to the board from North Carolina! Very glad to hear your testimony. Thank you for sharing. You mention doing historical research on D. H. Hill. What brought that about? Was this for college, or something else?

Last edited:

dhh712

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi, I can't say you know me in "real life," but I believe that you attend/attended church with my sister and her family. When we heard that your husband was in the hospital, we were praying for you all. I'm so glad that you have continued to grow closer to Christ through such difficult and painful circumstances.

We now attend Living Hope in Gettysburg. Perhaps our paths will cross in the near future.

Blessings, and I look forward to learning with you!
Hey there, Tim. Thank you for your prayers. It is a wonderful gift of the Lord Jesus that he drew me close to himself and I daily endeavor to work out my salvation knowing that it is he who works within me.

I believe I may have saw you and your family going into the later service yesterday when I was at Living Hope. I'm so glad to know you're attending there now!

dhh712

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello Anne. Welcome to the board from North Carolina! Very glad to hear your testimony. Thank you for sharing. You mention doing historical research on D. H. Hill. What brought that about? Was this for college, or something else?
Hello Christopher. Thank you for the welcome. My research on D.H. Hill resulted just from my interest in the Civil War. I remember reading about him in Freeman's "Lee's Lieutenants" and I just found him to be incredibly interesting, wanted to know everything I could about him. I found out he was a devout Presbyterian and since I didn't know hardly anything about that decided to find out exactly what it was. I figured a good way to get to know about someone is to know something that they are very passionate about or what makes up their character.

I started my research into that by picking up a 3-volume history of the Presbyterian faith by Ernest Trice Thompson called "Presbyterians in the South". It kept talking about this "Westminster Confessions of Faith" but didn't explain what that was. So I went and got a copy of that because it appeared to me that that comprised what they believed. So, as I write about in my intro, nothing made more sense to me about the Bible than that. I can't come up with anything to which there is no answer to, unlike some other sets of theological beliefs where things just don't add up or are not addressed (even if it's just that we cannot understand the infinite mind of God because we have finite minds or who are we to question to will of God? No set of beliefs ever explained it like that. We may not like the answers or say, Hey that's not a "real" answer--I want one that fully satisfies what I set out to know about. Well, if we understood God that way then he then wouldn't be "God" but a product of our own imaginations).

At first it really struck me as an intellectually superior way of looking at the Bible. When I first was converted, I remember thinking, "This is awesome, now I have all this stuff I can argue with people about!" (not a very Christ-like way to be!) But God worked in me to bring me more into a relationship with him and to conform my thoughts more into his thoughts--definitely a work in progress that has a long, long way to go. I was recently listening to a sermon in which the pastor mentioned something about Billy Graham's wife, that she has on her gravestone "End of construction. Thank you for your patience" (was a sign she would see frequently while driving). I really do look forward to the day when the construction is finished and we can finally be free of the corruption that constantly hinders our walk with God--how wonderful it will be to know him purely! and to not be so miserable when we constantly cave into our worldly desires. And to talk with all our brothers and sisters and to tell each other of the wonderful things the Lord has done for us.

It's nice to meet you, Anne! How interesting that you were converted in the process of doing historical research -- that sounds like a wonderful story. I'm from the Pittsburgh area myself.

Thank you Sarah. Isn't it amazing how the Lord works? I've heard that the author of one of T. J. "Stonewall" Jackson's biographies, James I. Robertson, was also converted while doing researching on Jackson. In my reply to Mr. Sheffield above I tell more about how my research on Hill led to my conversion.

One of the things that weighs so heavy on my heart is that how my family is largely non-believers. I think my dad may be; he was converted, it seems, under this heretical preacher, Arnold Murray of Shepherd's Chapel who passed away recently. Though the beliefs are heretical it seems to me that he knows the Lord Jesus and he became a very changed person. I pray that the Lord will have mercy and I do believe that there will be many heretics in heaven.

My brother is an avowed atheist however (my mother and my sister say they believe) and I pray for him daily for the Lord to do a great work to glorify his name. Though I was an atheist, I was never as militant as he was. The awesome power of God would shine so brightly if ever my brother were to have his heart changed by God and believe upon Jesus. So I pray that this will be the Lord's will. Yet his will be done and not my own.

timfost

Puritan Board Senior
Hey there, Tim. Thank you for your prayers. It is a wonderful gift of the Lord Jesus that he drew me close to himself and I daily endeavor to work out my salvation knowing that it is he who works within me.

I believe I may have saw you and your family going into the later service yesterday when I was at Living Hope. I'm so glad to know you're attending there now!
Well I guess I probably said hi to you on the way in then. It's funny getting to know new people when everybody's wearing masks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.