Hello from Hawaii

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Filter, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filter

Filter Puritan Board Freshman

Hi! I am Jake, and I'm here just to enjoy reading through the different articles and forums and learning what I can, especially different views that are within the Reformed community. I've seen the forums before, and thought I'd might as well join!

I am 25 years old, and am currently the academic dean of a small Bible college on island. I have been blessed to be able to be at the ministry here for the last 2.5 years, teaching courses such as Systematic Theology, Church History, and NT/OT Survey, along with leading the administration team and discipling young men and women to love Christ and live a life of obedience before the Father. I do prayerfully hope that one day I will be able to continue my education, although for now I feel God's call here in the islands. I am originally from Wisconsin, but spent about three years in international missions after converting to true faith in Christ at the age of 20 before coming to Hawaii. I am hoping that being on the Puritan Board will help me to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and His Word.

2. Bill The Baptist

Bill The Baptist Puritan Board Graduate

Welcome aboard!

3. Von

Von Puritan Board Freshman

Seems like you'll fit right in. Welcome!

4. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome!

5. Berean

Berean Puritan Board Doctor

Welcome to the PB, Jake!

6. Cymro

Cymro Puritan Board Junior

Hoping to enjoy your contributions.

7. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

Greetings. Which island?

8. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

Salutations.

9. PhilA

PhilA Puritan Board Sophomore

Welcome

10. Filter

The island of Kauai, which I think is the best one :) Molokai is awesome, but I don't know if I would want to live there for too long - its a little too slow. Kauai is a good pace for me.

11. reinink

reinink Puritan Board Freshman

Greetings Jake! I am curious, which church do you attend? I was thinking of visiting Kauai a few years back, and was in communication with Rev. Derrick Vander Meulen from the Grace Church (URCNA), but I've heard it's closed since. Wondering what's available for Reformed churches now?

12. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

An academic dean? At 25?

13. ArminianOnceWas

ArminianOnceWas Puritan Board Freshman

Welcome to the Board and thank you for sharing your background.

When you mention a conversion to true faith this seems to imply something more than just changing theology. According to your testimony, it sounds as though you have been a Christian for 5 years, spent three years on the mission field and currently teach/disciple in areas of Biblical studies and theology.

Curiously, it raises the question of how you were discipled during this short time? Please forgive me for coming across as condescending, however, I can not help but wonder.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  14. Filter

Yes, I had grown up in a very nominal Lutheran church, attending almost weekly but had no true belief or convictions towards the faith. It wasn't until I was 20 that I truly met the Lord and was saved.

Looking back, I shouldn't have been on the mission field. In fact, that is a large are of contention right now for that particular organization, as they continually send out short term missionaries who are not qualified and really shouldn't go. So while I look back and see where I "shouldn't have gone", God did amazing things in and through me. It was tough. I failed. A lot. I made mistakes. I hurt myself and others at times. I see it now as an "accelerated boot camp for Christian life", a very difficult time of really being refined through failure. I had very mature mentors who never gave up and really poured themselves into my life. They kept me on staff after that trip (which was 1 year) and had me lead shorter trips (1-5 months long). Afterward I went to school for 1 year, and that is all the formal Biblical training I currently have (although as I said, I certainly hope to continue).

Although truly saved at 20, I believed I was saved well earlier, and theology/philosophy and the like were always of interest to me (I had read and studied Geisler's Systematic Theology before the end of high school, a couple volumes more than once). Of course I've coupled that now with intense study of the Bible, and have greatly intensified my studies. Unorthodox, indeed. Seen as unqualified by many (including myself)? Absolutely. In fact, the job I have I turned down on several occasions because I saw myself inadequate, but I was asked several times and accepted when I felt that God was calling me to do so. I could go on for a long time about credentialing inadequacies and the like, but I have seen God's grace all throughout the process, and I'm confident in Him doing a good work in and through me.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Are you affiliated with Calvary Chapel? If so, how do your Calvinist views (3FU) sit with CCA? I have heard that the Calvinist view within CCA is not well accepted in many locales.

16. Filter

We are not Calvary Chapel. However, the school was a Calvary Chapel satellite campus (under direction of a Calvary Chapel church) until about 4 years before I arrived. Since many of the staff in the church are the same as when it was Calvary, they hold the same theology and, yes, we have run into small pockets of conflict. The church's (and de facto the school's) statement of faith is relatively vague (13 points which cover the essentials), and while de jure I am in submission to the board above me I have de facto operated with the theological autonomy they have given me thus far (for better or worse).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Good for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.