Help me decide which set to get.

Please choose one of the following and why.

• Heinrich Bullinger's Decades

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Works of James Henley Thornwell

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Herman Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Vos' Reformed Dogmatics

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • The Works of Stephen Charnock

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • A few commentaries on Romans

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other. Please leave a comment

• Robert Rollock's Works + Johannes Cocceius "Doctrine of the Covenant and Testament of God."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Owen on Hebrews

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that is probably because they have been erroneously taught that his covenant theology (indeed, even that officially set out in the Westminster Standards) is the "Reformed Baptist" view.
As you would have noted from my post, my comments were 'tongue in cheek'. Re John Owen, he subscribed to the Savoy Declaration.

As you would have noted from my post, my comments were 'tongue in cheek'. Re John Owen, he subscribed to the Savoy Declaration.

Yes, I know, but I recall hearing Carl Trueman say that his Baptist students often said that he should become a Baptist since he like John Owen so much. Dr Trueman admitted in this lecture that he did not really see how Owen could fit the children of believers into his covenant theology. I suspect the problem emerged from not distinguishing between those who are properly in the covenant and those who merely belong to the external administration.

Good evening. My wife and mother go in together to get me a set of books each Christmas. I am stuck on which set to get. I am praying to start seminary in the fall next year with the end goal of ministry. Which of the sets in the poll above should I absorb myself in next year? I will also be going through Richard Sibbes' works next year, that is why he isn't listed.
I added Bullinger and Thornwell because they are harder to find and happened to come across them.
I voted for the Vos Systematic theology, as many here have already posted in the past that he just might be the one go to Reformed theology book to have and to study.

I suspect that is probably because they have been erroneously taught that his covenant theology (indeed, even that officially set out in the Westminster Standards) is the "Reformed Baptist" view. It is decidedly odd to me that the notion that only the elect are, properly speaking, in the covenant of grace is such a misunderstood position among Presbyterians.
When I was starting to research much more into Baptist reformed Theology, there were indeed some claiming that Owen spoke for that position in regards to certain areas of Baptist Covenant reformed theology.

You should get Owen's commentary on Hebrews because he doesn't have one on the entire Bible. And if he did, it would likely be 230 volumes and at least $5,000 (and worth every penny!).

Yes, I know, but I recall hearing Carl Trueman say that his Baptist students often said that he should become a Baptist since he like John Owen so much. Dr Trueman admitted in this lecture that he did not really see how Owen could fit the children of believers into his covenant theology. I suspect the problem emerged from not distinguishing between those who are properly in the covenant and those who merely belong to the external administration.
You may be interested in reading Samuel Renihan's "From Shadow to Substance: The Federal Theology of the English Particular Baptists" [based on his PhD thesis] and how he looks at this 'tension' of John Owen. He looks at it from a partiular Baptist standpoint.

Actually I would be interested to hear if a Paedobaptist has critiqued Renihan's book.

I hear a lot of great things regarding "Herman Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics". I am especially interested in his Revelationational Epistemology which most say Van Til borrowed to further Presuppositional Apologetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back