Help me remember the title to a book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moselle

Puritan Board Freshman
There is a book that was recommended to me and I can't remember the title. It is like a devotional to use mainly with children(?) that presents the gospel through the first five books of the Bible. Does this sound familiar?

The Torah for Tots?
The Pentateuch for Preschoolers?
Moses for Midgets?
The Law for Little Ones?

I don't know right off hand, and my Google search sadly isn't getting anywhere...hopefully someone else knows!!! I will continue looking.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

This isn't what you're looking for, but here is a book recommended by The Gospel Coalition that looks quite good!

Westminster Bookstore - Reformed Books - Low Prices - Flat Fee UPS Shipping - The One Year Book of Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament (Paperback) Guthrie, Nancy 9781414335902

You can find other resources here:

Preaching Christ in the Old Testament - The Gospel Coalition

Although...I don't want to accuse our sister of anything wrong without knowing the whole picture, but it almost sounds like she is a "Reformed Beth Moore" of sorts??? This isn't the thread to discuss it, but it makes me a little uneasy.

If it's a devotional to use with children, and is something new, you may be thinking of Long Story Short. This is a family devotional book published late last year, and it does go through the Old Testament (not just the first five books) while pointing quite often to Jesus. It's very much for use with kids, even quite young ones, as it's divided into ten-minute chunks.

I could be picky and tell you the ways I wish it were better, but it's already better than 95% of the kids' devotional material published today. This is highly Bible-based, avoids mere moralism, and has an eye on the whole Bible as it takes families through Old Testament narratives. You could do much, much worse.

If that isn't it, I'm out of answers. I can't think of anything else at the moment that fits your description. I've had thoughts of writing such a thing myself, but that's another story...

Although...I don't want to accuse our sister of anything wrong without knowing the whole picture, but it almost sounds like she is a "Reformed Beth Moore" of sorts??? This isn't the thread to discuss it, but it makes me a little uneasy.

I don't really know anything about Beth Moore - sorry. Torah for Tots :D! It's not Long Story Short, although I've seen that one. The person who mentioned it is about as solidly reformed a person as I know. Her husband reads it to her kids for a few months when they turn 5-6 years old. Rats. I'll have to try to look her up again.

Doesn't sound like The Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos, though that's all that comes to mind for me.

It's not Long Story Short, although I've seen that one. The person who mentioned it is about as solidly reformed a person as I know. Her husband reads it to her kids for a few months when they turn 5-6 years old. Rats. I'll have to try to look her up again.

Well, when you find it, if you like it, will you report back here? I'm always looking for such material.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Oh, might it be the Discovering Jesus in Genesis and Discovering Jesus in Exodus series? I'm not a huge fan of those, just because I prefer stuff that more directly focuses on the biblical text itself, but the theology is solid. It's something one might read to kids and find beneficial.

There is a book that was recommended to me and I can't remember the title. It is like a devotional to use mainly with children(?) that presents the gospel through the first five books of the Bible. Does this sound familiar?

Your explaining it this way is a bit better than asking about a song on the board saying it goes "dee-dee-dee-dee da-dah-dee" in F or A.

Your explaining it this way is a bit better than asking about a song on the board saying it goes "dee-dee-dee-dee da-dah-dee" in F or A.

But of course! (That's one of my favorite songs, too!) ;)

C'mon guys - Monk could do it! :detective:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back