Help on which set of Calvin's Commentaries to purchase

Discussion in 'Commentaries' started by ccravens, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccravens

ccravens Puritan Board Freshman

Hello,

I am wanting to purchase a set of Calvin's commentaries. I have a few individual volumes already, and so need to choose between these 2 sets, each of which I already have a few volumes:

*Eerdmans 1965 (Calvin's New Testament Commentaries)
    *Eerdmans (no year? blue plain binding) (Calvin's Commentaries - just Old testament?)(John Owen translator of the volume I have - love Owen!)
    *Baker 2003 (brown binding with gold lettering - 22 volumes total)

Am I missing out in choosing one set over the other? Translator preference? I like the layout of the Eerdman's set better, but also like the layout of the Baker set just fine. Will have to maybe buy individual volumes peace-meal.

Thanks for your advice! Open to listen is anyone has some for sale as well. Thanks!

2. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

Different John Owen. The Calvin translator named John Owen lived in the 1800s and was Vicar of Thrussington, Leicestershire.

As for the set, I own the Baker set and like it well enough. But, I use the free Calvin Commentary module with free e-sword a lot more (like 10:1) than my hard copy.

3. Puritan Sailor

Puritan Sailor Puritan Board Doctor

I have the Baker set, 1998 printing, and it has been sufficient for me. I use it often especially in sermon prep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.