Help on which set of Calvin's Commentaries to purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,

I am wanting to purchase a set of Calvin's commentaries. I have a few individual volumes already, and so need to choose between these 2 sets, each of which I already have a few volumes:

*Eerdmans 1965 (Calvin's New Testament Commentaries)
*Eerdmans (no year? blue plain binding) (Calvin's Commentaries - just Old testament?)(John Owen translator of the volume I have - love Owen!)
*Baker 2003 (brown binding with gold lettering - 22 volumes total)

Am I missing out in choosing one set over the other? Translator preference? I like the layout of the Eerdman's set better, but also like the layout of the Baker set just fine. Will have to maybe buy individual volumes peace-meal.

Thanks for your advice! Open to listen is anyone has some for sale as well. Thanks!

(John Owen translator of the volume I have - love Owen!)

Different John Owen. The Calvin translator named John Owen lived in the 1800s and was Vicar of Thrussington, Leicestershire.

As for the set, I own the Baker set and like it well enough. But, I use the free Calvin Commentary module with free e-sword a lot more (like 10:1) than my hard copy.

I have the Baker set, 1998 printing, and it has been sufficient for me. I use it often especially in sermon prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back