Help Revising Calvinism Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
I have to teach a unite on soteriology tomorrow evening (to non-Reformed folk), and part of it will include comparing/contrasting the 5 points of Calvinism with the 5 points of Arminianism. The textbook being used explains these, but doesn't do a particularly great job, especially since the author simply presents both views and then distances himself by declaring he is neither, all the while making classical Arminian arguments. :rolleyes:

I thought it would be helpful if I presented a handout of a Calvinism/Arminian chart. There is one available online here, but I thought I might carefully revise part of the church, perhaps clarifying some of the language where there might be problems or misunderstandings. I would like the input of PBers here as well.

For example, the box on Unconditional Election reads:

God chose the elect solely on the
basis of His free grace, not anything
in them. He has a special love for the
elect. God left the rest to be damned
for their sins.

For the last statement, I thought about revising it to say, "God passes over the rest, to be justly condemned for their sins."

The box on Conditional Election reads:

God chose the elect on the basis of
their foreseen faith. He loves all men
equally. God passed over no one, but
gives everyone an equal chance to be
saved.

The last statement should probably read (the Missus suggested this), "God passes over no one ... "

Any thoughts?

Unconditional Election:

God chose the elect on the basis of His own will alone, not because of anything good foreseen in them, to be covered by the atonement of His Son who suffered His wrath on their behalf. He has deemed that those he has not elected to salvation will be punished justly; taking their own punishment on their own head for their rebellion against Him.

Conditional Election:

God foresaw that some would believe in Him and elected those whom He knew would have faith. Those who do not have faith are not elected but everyone has an equal "chance" to believe.

5 Points

Tim,

Steele and Thomas does a nice job of setting side-by-side the five points of the Remonstrance and the five counter-points of the Synod of Dort.

I have to teach a unite on soteriology tomorrow evening (to non-Reformed folk), and part of it will include comparing/contrasting the 5 points of Calvinism with the 5 points of Arminianism. The textbook being used explains these, but doesn't do a particularly great job, especially since the author simply presents both views and then distances himself by declaring he is neither, all the while making classical Arminian arguments. :rolleyes:

I thought it would be helpful if I presented a handout of a Calvinism/Arminian chart. There is one available online here, but I thought I might carefully revise part of the church, perhaps clarifying some of the language where there might be problems or misunderstandings. I would like the input of PBers here as well.

For example, the box on Unconditional Election reads:

God chose the elect solely on the
basis of His free grace, not anything
in them. He has a special love for the
elect. God left the rest to be damned
for their sins.

For the last statement, I thought about revising it to say, "God passes over the rest, to be justly condemned for their sins."
How about this:

"God chose the elect solely on the basis of His free grace, not anything that He foresaw in them. God would only have foreseen rebellion apart from the special love for the elect. The rest were passed over to be justly condemned for Sin and for their hatred and rebellion of God."

The box on Conditional Election reads:

God chose the elect on the basis of
their foreseen faith. He loves all men
equally. God passed over no one, but
gives everyone an equal chance to be
saved.

The last statement should probably read (the Missus suggested this), "God passes over no one ... "

Any thoughts?

"God chose the elect on the basis of their foreseen faith. God loves all men equally and wills to enable all equally, by His grace, to respond. Each man cooperates with grace offered. God foresaw each choice in eternity past, which decision is the basis for God's election."

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I've read/have the Steele and Thomas book (in fact, that book helped make the Missus Reformed ten years or so ago!). The 10th Pres chart is a bit more succinct, but the S/T chart is more specific, and your suggestions are very helpful.

One thing I will definitely do in revising -- placing the columns of the chart in the same order as do S/T. Armianism comes first (historically), because those were voiced first, and the Calvinism column is second because is Dort's response to the Arminianism of the Remonstrants. :2cents:

Based upon the original link, the link posted by Rich K., and the other comments posted here, I have constructed a chart and have a link posted here at my blog. I would appreciate any further critiques you may have.

Nice work Pastor Phillips! Wonder if I can borrow this as a reference for my sunday school class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back