Help! Should the PRCA attend the next NAPARC meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
having been raised to believe that 110% of Calvinists were hyper, I'm finding the number of actual ones to be almost infinitesimal and even those who are called it by their own deny it.

are there really any out there?
Their are hyper Calvinists among some Primitive Baptists.

okay, that NAPARC site only listed two streams of Hyper.in Ref/Pres.

do they call themselves Primitive?
We are off topic here but let me briefly say that their are many definitions of Hyper-Calvinism. Under some of these definitions the Eureka Classis of the Reformed Church U. S. is called Hyper-Calvinists because H. F. Kohlbruegge was influential among the founding pastors in the denomination. Kohlbruegge is alledged to be antinomian. The Protestant Reformed are accused of being Hyper-Calvinists because of their denial of common grace and the free well meant offer of the Gospel.
The definition of Hyper-Calvinism most often used by academics, like Peter Toon and T. H. L. Parker, is a system of theology that emphasizes God's soveriegn grace to such an extent that their appears to be no real need to evangelize. The preaching of the Gospel in this school of thought is only to hold Christ out to the elect. William Gadsby, and the Gospel Standard Strict Baptists would be an example of Hyper-Calvinists. Some Primitive Baptists are also Hyper-Calvinist in the technical definition of the word. Many other Primitive Baptists, like Elder Lassere Bradley Jr. are clearly not hyper-Calvinist. I do not know of any that call themselves Hyper-Calvinist.

having been raised to believe that 110% of Calvinists were hyper, I'm finding the number of actual ones to be almost infinitesimal and even those who are called it by their own deny it.

are there really any out there?
Their are hyper Calvinists among some Primitive Baptists.

okay, that NAPARC site only listed two streams of Hyper.in Ref/Pres.

do they call themselves Primitive?
We are off topic here but let me briefly say that their are many definitions of Hyper-Calvinism. Under some of these definitions the Eureka Classis of the Reformed Church U. S. is called Hyper-Calvinists because H. F. Kohlbruegge was influential among the founding pastors in the denomination. Kohlbruegge is alledged to be antinomian. The Protestant Reformed are accused of being Hyper-Calvinists because of their denial of common grace and the free well meant offer of the Gospel.
The definition of Hyper-Calvinism most often used by academics, like Peter Toon and T. H. L. Parker, is a system of theology that emphasizes God's soveriegn grace to such an extent that their appears to be no real need to evangelize. The preaching of the Gospel in this school of thought is only to hold Christ out to the elect. William Gadsby, and the Gospel Standard Strict Baptists would be an example of Hyper-Calvinists. Some Primitive Baptists are also Hyper-Calvinist in the technical definition of the word. Many other Primitive Baptists, like Elder Lassere Bradley Jr. are clearly not hyper-Calvinist. I do not know of any that call themselves Hyper-Calvinist.

the topic was shot to a nether region long ago.

so again it's not a good idea to take your definition of a grouping from their detractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back